Old 10-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Univolt Replaced with Inteli-Power 9280

Today I installed a new Inteli-Power 9280 from Randy at Best Converter to replace the 70 amp Univolt in my Excella. It may be a bit of overkill, but I expect it to last for many years if 45 amp Inteli-Power I have in my Trade Wind is any example and will give me plenty of capacity for expansion.

The Univolt is still working (HUMMMMMM!!!), but I have bad memories about the failure of the one in my Trade Wind. The new Inteli-Power is totally silent.

I have included photos of the old Univolt in place and the new Inteli-Power replacing it. I mounted the Remote Pendant just below the window above the covering that snaps into place and behind the curtains so the blinking LED status indicator won’t drive me crazy (ok, crazier ).

The sharp-eyed among you may notice that I mounted the new unit on top of rubber stoppers. This insures that no vibration can be transferred to the floor, not really much of a concern with the Inteli-Power though. It also spaces it up from the floor 15/16 of an inch in case any water were ever to get in. Of course, we all know that will never happen. The rubber stoppers came from Home Depot. The large ones also make good isolation mounts for those 12-volt fans that make so much noise.

You may also notice that the Inteli-Power is plugged into the wall outlet using an adapter. The 80-amp Inteli-Power uses a 20-amp plug instead of a 15-amp one. Randy has discussed this in other threads. Apparently the RV industry commonly uses the 20-amp outlet for larger converters. Interesting choice since the maximum consumption for the Inteli-Power 9280 is 1,300 watts while portable electric heaters, which use a normal 15-amp plug, can consume 1,500 watts. It turned out that this adapter is very unusual. I was only able to find one online at music shops. I got mine locally at the Guitar Center here in Little Rock. It is a Furman ADP-1520.

The 6-gauge battery cable came from a local NAPA auto parts. I bought 6 feet and had about 18 inches left over.

Interestingly, the Inteli-Power weighs 7.67 pounds versus 39.5 for the Univolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Univolt-1-DSC01114.jpg
Views:	2410
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	89167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inteli-Power-DSC01153.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	89168  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Remote-Pendant-DSC01165.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	89169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furman-ADP-1520-DSC01147.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	89170  

Old 12-28-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
jesup , Georgia
thanks for good info. univolt on 82 limited producing 12.5 volts only and manuals indicate 13.5 or higher. batteries are killed pretty quickly when operating several lights. am i okey or is it univolt replacement time. thanks for your input

Old 12-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Univolts

The Univolt that Airstream has used for many years, is 55 amps and weighs 9 pounds.

It is silent, unless the cooling fan comes on.

The failure rate is very close to zero.

We, in fact, have not had one single failure, since the solid state Univolt has been used by Airstream.

Understandably, there are other brands of converters that also do well.

Andy
Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhidden View Post
thanks for good info. univolt on 82 limited producing 12.5 volts only and manuals indicate 13.5 or higher. batteries are killed pretty quickly when operating several lights. am i okey or is it univolt replacement time. thanks for your input
That sounds pretty low to me. The short life of the batteries is another hint. If they have only been getting up to 12.5, they can also be affected by long-time undercharging. I'm sure others will check in with authoritative answers.

In my case, this time at least, the Univolt was working properly, just humming loudly. Given my prior experience with Univolt failures boiling batteries in an overcharging failure, I changed this one proactively. (After a couple of years ) This way I get a regulated, clean 12 volt supply, quiet operation, and intelligent charging/maintenance. After the initial replacement and charge (which took place at about 14.4 volts), the system spends almost all its time in maintenance mode maintaining about 13.3-5 volts. Periodically, it switches to boost/desulfication mode for a few minutes, back to 14.4v, to keep the batteries in good shape.

I spend very little time off the grid right now, so I can't give you a good answer about battery life before or after the swap. I suspect that my batteries are not all that great but have no plans to swap them out at this time. I have power in case of failures and switch to conservation mode (only turn on one light at a time if I need lights, etc.) if needed.

The quiet operation is worth the change in itself. The clean 12 volts supply can also, in my opinion, pay for itself. Prior to switching to an Inteli-Power in my Trade Wind, I had a couple of new CD players fail. I detected some amount of alternating current leaking through the Univolt which led me to believe that was causing the failures. I installed a heavy duty diode to eliminate the AC leakage and experience no more problems with the CD players, but the Univolt still failed one night heating the battery to boiling. It was way too hot to touch. You could feel the heat like a pot just off the stove. I am planning to update my music system soon and felt that it was time to go ahead and update the charging system first.

Another advantage to changing to a modern charger system is that you can still use the Univolt as a bench testing power supply. If you have some 12 volt appliance or item out you want to test prior to installation, you can use the Univolt.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi again,

Andy's post beat mine due to the length of time it took me to compose my reply. It really didn't take me that long, but I made a fresh pot of coffee after I started the reply.

The newer units Andy refers to are perfectly fine I'm sure, and I would have no problem with one of them. As he mentioned, they are smaller, quiet, and reliable. Since your 1982 is a year older than my 1983, I'm fairly sure that you have one of the older behemoths like mine unless someone already swapped it out. You can tell the difference from the photos in my original post.

Again, all my discussion applies to the older Univolts.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi again,

Andy's post beat mine due to the length of time it took me to compose my reply. It really didn't take me that long, but I made a fresh pot of coffee after I started the reply.
So, .... is the coffee ready yet?

Andy
Old 12-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
So, .... is the coffee ready yet?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Just poured the last cup.

Been on THEPILL's converter thread (http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ter-59728.html). Funny how a subject doesn't get much discussion for a while and then interest increases all at once.

Hope your Christmas went well, Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Univolt change

Is it difficult to wire in a new converter? I have a 65 22' Safari and our restoration is about 90% complete. We are on hold for the winter but I'm thinking that it might be worthwhile to make the switch before leaving us high and dry. Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Is it difficult to wire in a new converter? I have a 65 22' Safari and our restoration is about 90% complete. We are on hold for the winter but I'm thinking that it might be worthwhile to make the switch before leaving us high and dry. Any input is appreciated.
Wiring a Univolt in, is very basic.

What needs greater attention, with the 12 volt DC system, if you can, is create another 2 circuits for a total of 4, instead of just the 2 that you now have.

Andy
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Univolt Replacement

Andy-thanks for the suggestion. Your expertise is very much appreciated....Tim
Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Andy is right.

I'm not sure how your question slipped by me, but I can't add anything to Andy's response.

Thanks for catching this, Andy.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
College Station , Texas
Good Evening Electrical Wizards: Forgive me if this is not the right spot to post this, but vswingfield has described a potential problem I may have. I have the same intel power set up. Every so often, I notice my alt is only outputting 10 on the gauge and the new cd player w/gps kicks in & out. Then, after a few minutes it corrects itself. I do have to jump the start battery with the interior toggle from time to time. Do I have a problem and where do I start looking to solve it?

Thanks, PD
Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdallas View Post
Good Evening Electrical Wizards: Forgive me if this is not the right spot to post this, but vswingfield has described a potential problem I may have. I have the same intel power set up. Every so often, I notice my alt is only outputting 10 on the gauge and the new cd player w/gps kicks in & out. Then, after a few minutes it corrects itself. I do have to jump the start battery with the interior toggle from time to time. Do I have a problem and where do I start looking to solve it?

Thanks, PD
Ok, that is a little cryptic.

You have the same Inteli-Power setup I have?

Your profile says Currently Looking, so I was even more confused at first. I checked About Me on the user info section and see that you have a 1984 345 so that helps a little. I explains why you have a CD player with a GPS anyway.

When you say your alt is putting out only 10 on the gauge, are you referring to the alternator on the engine? What gauge? Amps or Volts on this gauge? Or, do you mean that the Inteli-Power is only putting out out 10 volts?

I'm not sure what you mean by jump starting the battery with the interior toggle. Using the Remote Pendant that is wired to the Inteli-Power?

I'm no electrical expert, but I am willing to help out if I can.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdallas View Post

Thanks, PD
Having to internally jump start the motorhome battery, suggests that possibly the chassis battery is weak, or there is a small drain on the chassis battery.

I would check both of them out. Sometimes, an LPG leak detector, remains on, even though the engine is shut down.

Andy

Your CD player might belong to a strong union, and is simply taking a break, every once in a while????