Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
So it sounds like all of your 110v is working properly, right?

You are having problems with the 12 volt stuff (only), right? The fuse only blows when you hook up the battery to the Univolt? In other words, when the battery is disconnected, all of the 12 volt stuff works? No blown fuses?

Jim
With the battery disconnected none of the 12v stuff works either.
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
The univolt is running, I can hear it hum. I have checked all the fuses several times, none of them are blown. Nothing on the 12v side is working when it is plugged in to 110V. It blows afuse when you hook up a battery. It has been raining since I have gotten home from work, I was going to try to take the Univolt out.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #23
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Are you sure that the Univolt is actually outputting 12 volt voltage? Do you have a multi-meter to measure the voltage coming out of the Univolt?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Quote:
Are you sure that the Univolt is actually outputting 12 volt voltage? Do you have a multi-meter to measure the voltage coming out of the Univolt?
I don't think that it is outputting 12v. I don't have a multi-meter, but I can borrow one if I need to.
It is odd the Univolt was doing its job friday night, but when I got back saturday morning it was'nt converting anything to 12v. It is still humming like it is doing something.
Thanks, Bill
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
The jack on the tongue, which is 12v runs very faintly when the camper is plugged into 110v. When hook I hook the camper up to vehicle th jack works ike it is supposed to.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #26
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
I think it's probably time to get that test set. My Univolt still works after 36 years, but not very well, so I've ordered a replacement for it. A multi-meter would help to find the problem. And I'm not surprised that the Univolt worked one day, but not the next simply because of the age of the device.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Update

I just went out and plugged it into 110v (with a wet extension cord) and everything is working. I had'nt touched it since last night. The only person who had been in it today was my wife. (hanging curtains) I guess she fixed the electrial problem while she was out there.lol It still leaves me wandering what the problem was. I will give another update tomorrow to tell if eveything is up and running.
Thanks everyone, Bill
Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Quote:
I think it's probably time to get that test set. My Univolt still works after 36 years, but not very well, so I've ordered a replacement for it. A multi-meter would help to find the problem. And I'm not surprised that the Univolt worked one day, but not the next simply because of the age of the device.

Jim
What are you replacing yours with? I plan on stripping mine down this spring and updating.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #29
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
This one: DLS-45 45 Amp Power Converter w/IQ4

Randy, the owner, said he's sold 100's of these and has never had even one of them returned. He's a helluva good guy. If you call them, you can talk directly to the owner. Great small business. I'll be posting how I install everything over the next few days. See the Full Monte thread I referenced above.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 10-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Jim,

The DLS-45 s/IQ4 is exactly what I have....and it fried two Optima Blue Tops.

FWIW, I found an old-timer in San Angelo who runs an electronics repair shop. He told me he'd take a look at my UniVolt and see what it needed. He said he'd rather have the old UniVolt than a new converter. K.I.S.S. is sometimes the better choice, in his opinion and mine.

I think the only reason the UniVolts get a bad rap is because, when they're old, they don't work right anymore. It would be nice to hear from an original owner whether the UniVolts were crap, when they were new.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
There are pleanty of people happy with the Univolt because of their habits and luck.
The technology however is far advanced beyond that and it not hard to see the difference or we would be repairing Univolts.
Simply put, modern switching converters are leaps beyond linear and fero style power supplies in all industries that use them. Signs, pianos, RVs, ham operators, etc all use switching power supplies now.
Jim, don't worry.
SFC Lynes (thanks for serving BTW) I'd like to know if you had a malfuction with the Iota from whomever you got it from. I have almost a thousand in service and not a return to date except one damaged in shipping. I need feedback like that but not getting anything but send my friend one.
I'm in it for you guys because I don't want them coming back any more than you do. At least you all know I'll be here if anything I've sent fails.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #32
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Mine arrived today, Randy. Gonna try to get it in tomorrow night. Thanks for the great service and quick delivery. Hope your trip was enjoyable.

And thank YOU for your service to our country.

CW2 Jim & SFC Susan

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427