Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82 View Post
Double check those fuse ratings...The trailer battery red fuse is rated AGU 50 amp, not 40. The car battery blue fuse is rated AGU 40 amp.

on edit: Just took a pic, for reference and, yes, I am becoming a UniVolt collector . The disassembled UniVolt on the right is from a 1971. The main one pictured is from a 1970:
Mine is fused like you said, 50/50/40 amp. I have a 50 amp on the positive AND the negative legs going to the trailer battery. A 40 amp on the blue wire from the car battery.

$Bill, look at the front cover on the Univolt (the cover over the fuse panel). If you have a 45 amp model Univolt, you probably need to step up to 50/50/40 amp fuses. Also, the amperage rating on for each fuse is printed underneath each fuse holder on mine, FWIW.

Stingray, I have another Univolt to add to collection if you want it. It's replacement should be here tomorrow. Just don't ask me to drive back to San Angelo to deliver it.

Jim
__________________

__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Mine is fused like you said, 50/50/40 amp. I have a 50 amp on the positive AND the negative legs going to the trailer battery. A 40 amp on the blue wire from the car battery.

$Bill, look at the front cover on the Univolt (the cover over the fuse panel). If you have a 45 amp model Univolt, you probably need to step up to 50/50/40 amp fuses. Also, the amperage rating on for each fuse is printed underneath each fuse holder on mine, FWIW.

Stingray, I have another Univolt to add to collection if you want it. It's replacement should be here tomorrow. Just don't ask me to drive back to San Angelo to deliver it.

Jim
It is the 45 amp unit. It uses a 40 amp on the blue battery wire. It uses a 50 amp fuse on the red trailer wire. I am not sure what it is supposed to have on the black Ground wire, it is not marked.
__________________

__________________
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #17
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
I can provide a couple of pictures if you need them. Just let me know....

I'm not sure if it's original, but the negative cable to the trailer battery also had a 50 amp fuse. Are you still having problems? What is working and what isn't? I have a thread that describes what all of the these wires power, if you need it. I'll go find the posts and get back in a few.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I can provide a couple of pictures if you need them. Just let me know....

I'm not sure if it's original, but the negative cable to the trailer battery also had a 50 amp fuse. Are you still having problems? What is working and what isn't? I have a thread that describes what all of the these wires power, if you need it. I'll go find the posts and get back in a few.

Jim
Only the plugins and AC are working. The lights , radio and jack have stopped working. When you hook a battey up it blows a fuse. When hooked to 110V only 110V stuff is working.
__________________
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Take a look at this thread beginning at post 360: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f226...tml#post326154

That will give you some idea how the 12 volt DC and 110 volt AC is wired. Your trailer may be a little different, but probably not by much.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #20
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by $bill View Post
Only the plugins and AC are working. The lights , radio and jack have stopped working. When you hook a battey up it blows a fuse. When hooked to 110V only 110V stuff is working.
So it sounds like all of your 110v is working properly, right?

You are having problems with the 12 volt stuff (only), right? The fuse only blows when you hook up the battery to the Univolt? In other words, when the battery is disconnected, all of the 12 volt stuff works? No blown fuses?

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
So it sounds like all of your 110v is working properly, right?

You are having problems with the 12 volt stuff (only), right? The fuse only blows when you hook up the battery to the Univolt? In other words, when the battery is disconnected, all of the 12 volt stuff works? No blown fuses?

Jim
With the battery disconnected none of the 12v stuff works either.
__________________
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 14
The univolt is running, I can hear it hum. I have checked all the fuses several times, none of them are blown. Nothing on the 12v side is working when it is plugged in to 110V. It blows afuse when you hook up a battery. It has been raining since I have gotten home from work, I was going to try to take the Univolt out.
__________________
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #23
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Are you sure that the Univolt is actually outputting 12 volt voltage? Do you have a multi-meter to measure the voltage coming out of the Univolt?
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Are you sure that the Univolt is actually outputting 12 volt voltage? Do you have a multi-meter to measure the voltage coming out of the Univolt?
I don't think that it is outputting 12v. I don't have a multi-meter, but I can borrow one if I need to.
It is odd the Univolt was doing its job friday night, but when I got back saturday morning it was'nt converting anything to 12v. It is still humming like it is doing something.
Thanks, Bill
__________________
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 14
The jack on the tongue, which is 12v runs very faintly when the camper is plugged into 110v. When hook I hook the camper up to vehicle th jack works ike it is supposed to.
__________________
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #26
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
I think it's probably time to get that test set. My Univolt still works after 36 years, but not very well, so I've ordered a replacement for it. A multi-meter would help to find the problem. And I'm not surprised that the Univolt worked one day, but not the next simply because of the age of the device.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 14
Update

I just went out and plugged it into 110v (with a wet extension cord) and everything is working. I had'nt touched it since last night. The only person who had been in it today was my wife. (hanging curtains) I guess she fixed the electrial problem while she was out there.lol It still leaves me wandering what the problem was. I will give another update tomorrow to tell if eveything is up and running.
Thanks everyone, Bill
__________________
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member
 
1973 27' Overlander
whitley city , Kentucky
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
I think it's probably time to get that test set. My Univolt still works after 36 years, but not very well, so I've ordered a replacement for it. A multi-meter would help to find the problem. And I'm not surprised that the Univolt worked one day, but not the next simply because of the age of the device.

Jim
What are you replacing yours with? I plan on stripping mine down this spring and updating.
__________________

__________________
$bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Univolt replacement Question Tim Bloodwor Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 7 07-14-2009 09:37 AM
Electrical / Univolt question pamelake Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 4 01-15-2007 06:29 PM
Another Univolt Question higgy116 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 9 05-12-2006 12:35 PM
Univolt question viners Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 9 03-25-2005 11:40 PM
Univolt question overlander76 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 12 07-08-2003 03:10 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.