Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
edwardsburg , Michigan
univolt humming

hello, our univolt is buzzing/humming extremely loud. does this mean it needs replaced? Or is there something else going on? Don't know where to start? Thanks
slvrbulit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Univolts hum because they don't know the words. Install a songbook in the Univolt compartment...

Now, for the "non-smart" answer. The 60 cycle hum is caused by the insulation around the plates inside the Univolt deteriorating. Short-term, this will have no effect on the operation of the Univolt, but the state of the art has advanced dramatically over the last decade or so. it would be a really good idea to replace it with a modern converter, preferably with 3 stage charging. The new ones weigh about a tenth that of your old Univolt, so you will immediately add to your cargo carrying capacity, and the life of your coach battery. The old Univolts tend to fry the insides of batteries...
Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ditto on hum being somewhat normal in older Univolts. There was a recent post by Inland Andy saying the hum could be reduced or eliminated by repotting the transformer. If I understand this process correctly it consists of removing the transformer from the Univolt and soaking it in a bucket of varnish. Personally, I would get a new 3 phase converter for the reasons listed above.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Any opinion on the best converter -what would be the cost $$
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1976 24' Argosy 24
Bonita , California
Once we have decided on the best converter, we can decide on the best tow vehicle...... Progressive Dynamics makes some great units under the inteli-power name. I rebuilt my Univolt ( new capacitors) but my wife objected to the hum. The Progressive Dynamics 60 amp unit at around 140.00, including the charge wizard kept everyone happy. I will get one for our new Argosy moho after I see what else comes up on our shakedown trip this weekend
Bonitafarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Any opinion on the best converter -what would be the cost $$
Figure new $150=$200 range. I got a salvaged 45 amp Intellipower on ebay for about $75

It's time now to also think about what your electrical needs are and if you want to upgrade your battery configuration. The converter manufacturers make different models with differrent amperage Different converters work better with AGM batteries. Check with forums member Randy at bestconverter.com