Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #1

1969 27' Overlander
Hernando , Florida
Univolt buzzes then stops

I am brand new to Airstream having just purchased a 1969 overlander in great shape for its age.
THe problem is the Univolt, when plugged into shore power, it buzz's for about 5 to 7 seconds then you hear a boing''''' like a cartoon spring. it seems to recycle, buzz then boing'''' again. This goes on until I unplug the unit.
When we first brought it home it seemed to work fine after I put the battery in. The next day this buzz/boing''' started.

YOur help is greatly apprecaited

Old 12-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
That sounds like a circuit breaker popping. Better start checking for a short. Battery reversed? Something touching metal?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #3

1969 27' Overlander
Hernando , Florida
The noise all comes from the univolt. THe unit is on the left side in an outside compartment and the 4 circuit breaker panel is on the right side in the bathroom. I have checked the breakers and none are popped.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMahippah View Post
I am brand new to Airstream having just purchased a 1969 overlander in great shape for its age.
THe problem is the Univolt, when plugged into shore power, it buzz's for about 5 to 7 seconds then you hear a boing''''' like a cartoon spring. it seems to recycle, buzz then boing'''' again. This goes on until I unplug the unit.
When we first brought it home it seemed to work fine after I put the battery in. The next day this buzz/boing''' started.

YOur help is greatly apprecaited
There is built in breaker within the univolt.

Disconnect 1/2 of the circuits, and see what happens.

If the "boing" continues, then reconnect the disconnected circuit, and disconnect the other circuits.

If the "boing" still continues, disconnect all the circuits and see what happens.

You more than likely have a short in a circuit. The idea is to isolate it and once you know which circuit has the problem, you can start chasing that down. Or make a post and state which circuit is bad.

Some of us can help you with tracing the problem down.

Andy
Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Many owners have decided to upgrade from Univolts to modern 3 stage converters. The main reason is 3 stage converters do a better job, and the Univolts can damage batteries. You might want to consider this at some point. There is plenty of information in the forums archives if you do a search.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Andy has a good trouble shooting checklist, but I recommend that you save yourself a few minutes and disconnect all the circuts as the first step. I'm betting it's the Univolt itself. If it isn't, use Andy's method of resolve the problem.

However, even if you do resolve it to a circut, the Univolt will still be buzzing. Replace it per Lumatic's suggestion. The new unit, what ever you buy, will wiegh less than 1/4 of the Univolt and your batteries will last more than twice as long. It's a good investment.

Old Univolts aren't totally useless. If it's still putting out 14 Volts (its voltage regulation is poor without a battery hooked to it) or so, keep it in the shop to supply 12V for testing other components, like pumps, etc.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #7

1969 27' Overlander
Hernando , Florida
I will start testing tomorrow. THe more I play, the more I know. Thanks Andy. I will also check with my local RV guys on an upgrade. I like to buy local, it keeps local guys in business.

Thank You
Old 12-04-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hi Joe,
I promise I can help you, its a no brainer. If you have a Univolt made in in 1969, you can play with it for fun but we have all been there and to waste time with it is well, a waste of time unless you are trying to preserve it. You are less then $200 away from having a perfect DC power supply and the number one upgrade to any older RV.