The PO of my '74 Overlander proudly showed us the new inverter/charger that he put in the camper shortly before we bought it. At the time, this being our first camper that wasn't a tent, I thought this was great. Well, I noticed the other day that the interior lights were very dim. More so than in the past. The trailer has been plugged into the house since the day we brought her home. I checked the battery (Optima blue top) and the voltage was down to 7.6. OK, so I have a problem. I took the battery out, put in on the trusty battery charger in the garage, attached the volt meter and walked away. I came back and it was taking a charge. I left it sitting on my workbench off the charger over the weekend and I just checked it again and it was still around 12 volts, so the battery isn't trashed. So, I took off the panel for access to the inverter/charger. I think I found the problem...a loose output wire on the IOTA converter/changer. Nevertheless, I was surprised to see the Univolt V still there. I thought that there wouldn't be a need for both??? Nevertheless, the output wires from the IOTA disappear inside the Univolt. The actual wires that connect to the battery via the plug lead into the Univolt as well. Am I crazy or is this messed up? Shouldn't the IOTA REPLACE the Univolt, not be an add-on? The only advantage that I can see to this would be that with the Univolt in place then the charge indicator on the info panel in the camper would still show the battery charge. I checked all fuses in the Univolt and the IOTA, plus the master fuse. Everything is good.
Now the question: Do I remove the Univolt? What the heck do I do with all the extra wires? The IOTA seems simple enough...plug in to A/C, two wires out. There's a heck of a lot more wires than that into and out of the Univolt.