Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Sag Harbor , New York
Universal Power Group 45978 Sealed Lead Acid Battery

We just bought our first Airstream (72 Ambassador) a month ago. Batteries not included. Saw a good deal on Amazon for this Deep Cycle - Universal Power Group 45978 Sealed Lead Acid Battery - but don't know if it will really be right for the camper. i want an inexpensive one because I'm pretty sure I'll kill it screwing around with the electric.
Any help would be greatly appreciated .

SagStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
I'm not familiar with that battery, or your trailer, but a few thoughts:

1. Determine how many of what size batteries you can fit in your battery compartment. With this, consider your needs based on the type of camping you will mostly do (i.e. boondocking vs camping with available shore power).

2. Purchase flood cell marine/rv batteries from Walmart, Costco, Interstate, etc. They work well, are relatively inexpensive, and are easy to replace if they are prematurely "killed". True "deep cycle" batteries are better, but "deep cycle/starting" batteries will also work while you are figuring out your trailer.

3. By the time the marine/rv batteries are worn out, you will have a much better idea what you need and can upgrade if necessary.

As a side note, my original flood cell group 24 Interstates are over three years old, and still work great. I will, however, be replacing them with something different, (like two 6 volts) for more capacity. But I would not have known this when I bought the trailer.

Good luck and enjoy your trailer!

Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
1974 27' Overlander
danville , New Hampshire
You can purchase a similar battery specifically designed for your application at Walmart for less money. Deep Cycle RV/Marine.
jaygood31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
One of the weaknesses with old and new Airstreams is the lack of a three-stage battery charger. Since you're replacing the batteries, see if you have the original converter (converts shore power, 120 VAC to 12 VDC) or a modern converter that includes a three stage battery charger. If you have the original converter, an upgrade is about $200 if you DIY and you'll greatly extend the life of your batteries.
Al, K6IV
2015 30' Classic, "Chez Nu"
2014 RAM 2500 w/Cummins Diesel
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
You're looking for a group 27 battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC