Old 07-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
pamplico , South Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to romakdaddy
Trying to wrap my head around the inverter operation...

just got my hands on an 89 370 and it has some issues. Main issue is if its plugged into external power the inverter clicks every so often but nothing is working. I just replaced the batteries and it will run off of batteries most systems and I did notice if I turn the main breaker off when plugged in the clicking stops....anyone got a clue where to start looking? I was thinking a short but after seeing it work on batteries im not so sure...oh and it has broken fuel lines and bad gas from sitting up so generator operation is still a mystery.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My guess is the noise you're hearing isn't the inverter (or converter, more likely), but an automatic transfer switch that should be wired between the generator and shore power connections. The transfer switch prevents the generator from trying to backfeed the shore power. It's probably bad, or at least really dirty and sticking. In my B190, the transfer switch was wired prior to the breaker box, so the breakers wouldn't have an effect on it like yours seem to, so I'm not entirely sure this is the correct answer, but it's the first thing that made sense to me.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
quick update...I ran heavier wire from the house to the rv and eureka! all works normal now...I guess 150 feet of drop cord isn't enough ran 2 lengths of 125 foot 10-2 romex and a double outlet generator cord all hooked to a 30 amp breaker on the house.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by romakdaddy View Post
quick update...I ran heavier wire from the house to the rv and eureka! all works normal now...I guess 150 feet of drop cord isn't enough ran 2 lengths of 125 foot 10-2 romex and a double outlet generator cord all hooked to a 30 amp breaker on the house.
Don't try to run AC....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Stream Weaver

1989 37' Airstream 370
nothing would run even with both units off on drop cords.it gets nice and cold on the heavier wire.the previous owner was having the same issue with the clicking...I bet they tried to run it on drop cords too.the length of cords probably made the difference I had a 100' 12g drop and another 50' possibly 14g drop extending that and im guessing the current was not enough to even switch over...just glad it wasn't anything too expensive and now I have enough power to run lights and fans in my storage trailer