Old 09-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I noticed this weekend. I parked the AS at the campsite on Friday about 6pm and left the tow vehicle (2010 Tundra 5.7L) connected including the electrical plug. the keys were out for the ignition switch. I didn't notice any interior lights left on in the truck. The AS was connected to shore power from Friday until Sunday morning. When I came to leave on Sunday when trying to start the Tundra the engine turned over slowly but fired up. I think the two days the Tundra was plugged into the trailer is the longest I've kept the trailer harness plugged in. My Tundra came with the factory tow package (receiver, 7 pin connector etc) so I'm assuming when the ignition is off the TV should be isolated from the trailer.

The only 12v devices I used was the lights and the water pump.

How is the best way to determine if the trailer is drawing from the tow vehicle?
I have the trailer at home. I could measure the TV battery voltage and then plug the trailer in like I did at the campsite and measure the TV battery voltage after 24 hours.

Thanks

Kelvin

Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I noticed this weekend. I parked the AS at the campsite on Friday about 6pm and left the tow vehicle (2010 Tundra 5.7L) connected including the electrical plug. the keys were out for the ignition switch. I didn't notice any interior lights left on in the truck. The AS was connected to shore power from Friday until Sunday morning. When I came to leave on Sunday when trying to start the Tundra the engine turned over slowly but fired up. I think the two days the Tundra was plugged into the trailer is the longest I've kept the trailer harness plugged in. My Tundra came with the factory tow package (receiver, 7 pin connector etc) so I'm assuming when the ignition is off the TV should be isolated from the trailer.

The only 12v devices I used was the lights and the water pump.

How is the best way to determine if the trailer is drawing from the tow vehicle?
I have the trailer at home. I could measure the TV battery voltage and then plug the trailer in like I did at the campsite and measure the TV battery voltage after 24 hours.

Thanks

Kelvin
The trailer should not drain a Tundra. The 12 volt line is only active when the trucks ignition switch is on.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Yes, that is why I'm puzzled. I don't drive the Tundra much and sometimes its parked a couple of weeks before I need it for hauling yard debris or we tow our AS. It always starts up normal.

Kelvin
Old 09-23-2014, 10:35 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
My 12VDC line from my 2013 Chevy is energized all of the time. I always disconnect the connectors when I setup camp to prevent the problem you've discovered.

You can check whether this is true on your truck by measuring the voltage on the 12VDC line at the back of your truck's 7-pin connector when the ignition is off.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Beaumont , Texas
Trailer using 12 volt from tow vehicle

I recently replaced the trailer (20FC2010) plug and checked the connectors. This description is for the socket on the truck or for the plug looking at both from the rear towards the front of the car. The first going clockwise is 12 V + and directly opposite (at 7 AM) is 12 V -

Description for the plug:
"Looking from screws side (towards the car) having the ridge on 12 position the colors clockwise are:
Black +12 volts
Brown right turn
Blue brake
White 12 volt ground
Red left turn
Green running lights

This was confirmed, and it agrees with Airstream manual"

Via Airstream Forums
Old 09-25-2014, 06:28 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Yes, that is why I'm puzzled. I don't drive the Tundra much and sometimes its parked a couple of weeks before I need it for hauling yard debris or we tow our AS. It always starts up normal.
Batteries wear out - if you're on the original, it's 4 years old now, and the way you're using the truck is hard on the battery. Get it tested at an auto parts store.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Air, I agree. I always disconnect, then no reason to worry as long as I remember to reconnect. Jim

Tags
12 volt