Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Virginia
Towing without batteries

Airstream experts!

Getting ready to launch the season here in Virginia. I removed the batteries and have kept them charged with a battery tender in my basement. I have an appointment with the AS techs to get my rig serviced and inspected in a couple of weeks. I was going to let them reinstall the batteries.

Will towing without the batteries hurt the truck's electrical system and/or trailers system? I thought I had read somewhere that the fuses relating to the converter don't "like" the battery missing. Although that discussion related to a static trailer being hooked up to shore power without batteries, I wasn't sure if the same principles applied to towing without batteries.

Your sage advice and experience needed!

Thanks..

Patti
Old 03-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Not a good idea for another reason. Your emergency break-away switch is intended to apply the trailer brakes if it becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle.

The trailer 'house' batteries are used to apply the brakes in this scenario. No batteries, no brakes in an emergency. Runaway trailer without a hope of stopping... Not a good idea.

I'd STRONGLY suggest installing the batteries before towing any distance. IMHO from the parking pad to the driveway exit is too far to go without batteries and a working emergency braking system.

Mine does not move unless everything on the running gear, including the break-away switch and brakes is tested and working.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
One potential risk might be that the trailer brakes would not work properly without the trailer battery. I'm not sure if sufficient power to properly activate the brakes can be delivered via the seven-way pin connector between the tow vehicle and trailer. If you don't get an answer to this question here, I'd call the dealer to verify this issue.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Kalamazoo , Michigan
The only real problem is that your automatic breakaway brakes won't work without onboard batteries that are charged. I don't think you can legally tow with no breakaway system.

I can't think of another issue, but I would think hard about safety towing without batteries.

Good luck

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TomS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Only problem is you won't have the break-away, which is required..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote