Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
Third wire on the fuse panel help

Search is making my head spin so I thought I'd just ask about the connections for the new converter. The old univolt had three wires connected to the back of the fuse panel. The new converter has only two wires and the fuse panel I am reusing has three connectors. Two are obviously + & - , the third one appears to go to busbar ?? or whatever that is. Is that the 5v for panel lights or maybe a ground? I don't have a picture of the back but this is the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse2.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	57521  
flashbackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I believe that is an ammeter shunt. Don't know how it works.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
How about reading the notations in the lower left corner and letting us know what they say.

I can make out the TV feed wire at the top left, the the battery feed second left. The flat bar at the bottom looks like an ampmeter shunt on the netural but some more info as to what is printed down in the corner may help

Your new converter will have three wires. The third, Ground Wire, may be connected at the other end of the converter, at the AC line end. It is generally a bare # 12 copper wire directly to the chassis. Since this is a new install you may have to supply that wire.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi,

I see your white wire got very hot on the fuse panel. Check to make sure the screw is tight.
As to the third wire I do not have an answere for you. I think it was going to the light on control panel that tells you when you have shore power.But what voltage the charger put out or was it AC or Dc. I have no idea. I left it disconected since my shore power indicator never worked. If someone knows let us all know. Or if you have a value of the voltage it would be helpful.
Regards from Russell in sunny and warm Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
It says ammeter black in the corner.
I fixed that white wire when I remounted the panel. It was very loose.
The xantrex converter has provisions for a ground. I guess I should ground it to the chassis?
I take it the ammeter shunt reads the amps of the battery for the control panel? I'll leave it unconnected for now.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
Reading more about an ammeter shunt, shouldn't it take a full 12 volts?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbackk
Reading more about an ammeter shunt, shouldn't it take a full 12 volts?
The shunt actually goes across the meter terminals.

There is 12 volts on those wires with respect to ground, but only a fraction of a volt between the two wires.

I would forget about them, since hardly anyone looks at the meter any way.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
Fuse panel

It would appear that the top left 2 terminals come from the pos side of t veh batt and trailer batt. Both are fused hot leads to panel. The brass looking plate would look to be connected in the neg side of batt. on my 69 the convertor wires were fused from convertor to batt. All my pos leads came off the amp shunt going to fuses. The pos batt lead came in on one side and

the three leads going to the fuses split off the other side od the shunt.
The # 3 fuse is in the neg side of trailer batt lead. This is a pic out of a 75 maint manual for a Sovereign that was posted in a thread I had started for my 69 fuse panel. The 2 little wires on the metal plate go directly to the ammeter. I hope this helps. I am including a pic of what I had done with my 69. The red wires are the pos side, I don't have the pos batt cable attached, and the whites all are ground to the batt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0150.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	57819  
69AmbassFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
( solved ) I thought I'd clean this thread up.
This diagram from my manual cleared up where the neg wire from the converter went. It does go to the shunt post. In this case, it also acts as the neg post for the converter neg. The third wire from my old univolt ( grey ) apparently went to my power on terminal. I guess I can live without that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fusebox.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	59566  
Old 05-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Yep, when you get rid of the univolt, the replacement converters do not have a connection for the power on circuit which is a 12 volt circuit. You can buy a Walwart or 110 v. A.C. to 12 V. D.C. transformer like you see used for powering low voltage D.C. items, plug it into an available 110 v. A.C. outlet which will be powered when connected to shore power as the transformer powers the power on light. It is a pretty simple fix. You can also plug in a circuit checker in one of the visible outlets and it will show two yellow lights if the 110 circuit is correctly wired.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote