Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Hazeltucky , Michigan
Testing univolt iv - works but trips electrical breaker

Ok so today is my first test of the electrical system.
Using an extension cord and adaptor I plugged the univolt into the gfi outlet outside my house. No batteries installed yet.
Everything seems to be working both 12v and 110v but the gfi on my house keeps tripping.
Anybody have any ideas?
I would like to hold off replacing it right now so I can work on other things.
keithgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
GFCI could be tripping from other things , does it only trip if the univolt is plugged in.
If you unplug the univolt for a while does the gfci not trip. Open breakers for the other circuits to be sure it's not something on a different circuit.
Is the fuse panel in the univolt the primary fuse box for the 12v. If there's a separate fuse setup, swapping a new converter for the univolt can be very quick.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
What size is the GFCI? The in rush could be the cause. Or simply poor insulation in the OLD Univolt.
IMHO. Get rid of the old iron and install a new converter.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Hazeltucky , Michigan
Well I'm trying to avoid spending money I don't need to and don't have if I don't have to. Ya feel me?
So today I plugged back in to shore and the gfi seems to be holding.
I'm running the fridge and one incandescent as a test.
I think the problem may have been due to running all the lights at one time (20 incandescent) in addition to the fridge and random testing of the 110v system with a drill. Silly me.
I think upgrading to led lights will bring down the amp draw quite a bit.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I had the same issue way back when I was working on my Trade Wind. After a tip from a friend, I checked the outside 120V outlet box. It was wet and corroded inside from a 40+ year old gasket leaking, imagine that. Anyway, a new outlet and waterproof cover plate and no more GFCI issues. This may not be your issue but I spent a week trying to figure it out and it was a simple fix. Shortly after that I installed a dedicated 30 amp line for the trailer which allowes me to run the AC while parked in the driveway.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Chance , Maryland
have a 1990 airstream landyacht with energenius eg3000 series the breaker with the white test button has blown, what do i do, and where do i get a new one?
bjkayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
you really NEED to can the 'converter'.... really... your batteries will last longer... you will have ample power....

It is a terrible feeling to watch smoke boiling up behind your gaucho(sofa) when you plug into your 'city power'... and the breaker did not 'pop'.... but I shut it off before it caught the AS on fire... I shudder to think of that happening at night..

It aint worth the price of admission... replace it.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Hazeltucky , Michigan
Cwf, I did replace the converter. With a mppt solar charge controller and a 250w solar panel. I don't need a new 110v converter since I will be off grid all of the time. In the rare case that I am going to be near 110v, I can just plug into shore power and turn off breaker 3 which powers the univolt. Or better, yet shoot myself because I am too near civilization.
If I do get around to removing the univolt it will be because the fuse panel needs to be replaced.
I could buy a new 110v converter, but I don't see any sense in spending $200 and the effort it would take to replace something I am never going to use.
Why is everyone so adamant about me replacing something I don't need or want?
Does someone on here sell converters or something?
P.S. I already learned not to ask questions about installing your own solar system.
The solar installers guild doesn't like it. Lol