Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2006, 08:39 AM   #1

1985 34' Excella
Houma , Louisiana
Question Testing Univolt

I have an 85 Excella and the converter seems to have stopped working. I repalaced the battery but the lights dim after a couple of hours. What do I need to do to test the Univolt? What alternatives do I have?
James Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
First off, you'll need a multimeter, they can cost as little as $10 at Home Depot, but get as good as you are willing to spend, they really come in handy. I suggest getting one with a continuity tester that has an audible tone. That will come in handy at a later date.

Next unhook your battery and see if any of the DC lights work while plugged into shore power. If they do,then the Univolt is working. If they are dim then check them with the Multimeter. If they don't come on at all, then your univolt is not providing juice.

If you are getting lights, check a DC outlet in your coach, you should be getting around 13.6-13.8 voltsDC. However, this isn't the most accurate way of telling if it works or not. There could a be a weak output and your multimeter would show it ok. Just suffice to say if the numbers are off, or you don't get lights, then it's not working. Otherwise, here's a some thoughts:
a)Check to see that that voltage gets to the battery cables. Check it without the battery hooked up. Maybe there is a disconnect between the univolt and the battery, keeping it from getting charged.
b)You may have a blown fuse inline to the battery or in the Univolt. Check your users manual or ask here for specifics for your coach and univolt.

If the Uni is gone, you have reliably three choices that are popular here: Intellipower, WFCO(available from forum member at bestconverter.com) and the one I got and love: Iota(I got mine at www.solarseller.com). I think there's probably about no difference in any of these, you can get automatic 3-stage charging, they're small, lightweight and have an automated cooling fan. Installation is straightforward and non complicated. For you it's probably just an exchange of wires.

Good luck and let's us know what happens!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #3

1985 34' Excella
Houma , Louisiana
I recharged the battery with a car charger, while the Converter was unplugged the lights came on bright again. If I uplug the battery and plug the converter in I have no lights. When the converter was plugged in with the new battery connected the converter seemed to get too hot. It seems like the converter is NOT working.
James Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Yep, it sounds like it's a boat anchor. Get a new one, probably ought to go with a 60 Amp one, maybe slightly higher, and you won't ever regret it.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote