Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB International
Birmingham , Michigan
Surge Protection?

Does anyone have any experience with the Sure Guard surge protector. I'm trying to determine whether I have to have something put in-line within the electrical system or, is one that connects to the electrical post to monitor line voltage good enough. Appreciate any input you might have.

Aquabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
There is some information on surge protection in the following link. Overall, one is better off having surge protection. Hard wired vs pedstal plug-in is more of an owners choice. What is important is the types of things that the unit guards against.

F. A. Meloy
2006 30' Classic
Dexter hydraulic disc brake system
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I feel that surge protection is a necessity with the wide variety of electrical quality found in campgrounds today. I've plugged into one pedestal to find it tripping brakers left and right. I moved to the next spot and found no problems. They ended up replacing that pedestal sometime within 2 months because there was a brand new pedestal when I came back.

Freak storms with electrical activity or just extremely high electrical demand by other campers can destroy electrical motors and appliances in your trailer. Why take the chance? The Surge Guard is worth every penny as long as you buy the locking device to prevent theft.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #4

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

When we were dog showing regularly with the Safari we used this at many show sites with hook-up's. Didn't worry about theft, we have a lock for it, usually when not there we just un-plugged and locked it in a storage compartment.
Don't use it much since we been dock'n mostly now. I re-wired a 30a pigtail to use with the 2000i to confirm output and such.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote