Old 10-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Good to hear they took care of you. I don't think Interstates are necessarily bad batteries and I run them in a couple of my vehicles. You can prevent it from happening again if you ditch that single stage Parallax 'battery boiler' as they are known in the industry. At a minimum, get one of those automatic watering gizmos. I think most RV dealerships carry them.

68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
Good to hear they took care of you. I don't think Interstates are necessarily bad batteries and I run them in a couple of my vehicles. You can prevent it from happening again if you ditch that single stage Parallax 'battery boiler' as they are known in the industry. At a minimum, get one of those automatic watering gizmos. I think most RV dealerships carry them.
I have been using the original chargers since 1973 with my avion, and in my airstreams and haven't had any battery troubles, just check the water level 2 or 3 times a year...most have averaged 6 years.. Not so bad...

Old 10-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
Could the Parallax be at fault? The fan seems to be on about 20% of the time. Is this excessive?

Dave
I don't know your exact set-up or model number, but I will tell you that our Parallax unit failed this year and darned near burned down our rig. Our battery began to cook because of it, but we caught it in time before it was totally destroyed.

The failure was traced to a short circuit, and Parallax admitted to us that it was the fault of their product. Because it was still under warranty, we shipped it back to them so that they could diagnose whether a they were obligated to replace it at no charge, which they did. They also told us that they'd seen a few other similar failures in the product.

You can read more detail in this Air Forums post and see if there's possibly a correspondence to your own situation. Good luck with it.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Marin , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I don't know your exact set-up or model number,
Our 2017 FC 25 has a Parallax 8355 that I believe is a standard install. I still don't know if this is considered a 'smart' charger or a trickle charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
You can read more detail in [URL="http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/advisory-electrical-converter-failure-hazards-147671.html"]
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
The 8355 is not a "Smart Charger" or a trickle charger. It is a single stage converter/charger with a constant 13.8 VDC output that can overcharge.

68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote