Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Saint Petersburg , Florida
something is draining the battery

I have recently purchased a 71 soviern 31 foot and have a problem identifying what drains the battery completely when it is sitting. I cannot find a distribution panel for the 12 volt side of the system. Is there a wiring diagram avaialble? Any ideas how to isolate items to see what is still on?
gbroughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!

The service manual has wiring diagrams and you can get the manual from the Airstream store. My 12 volt panel is in the bathroom closet, but I have a 75 Trade Wind.

Common things that may draw the battery down are smoke, CO and propane detectors that are wired to the 12 volt system.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Hello B4 you start digging in make sure you check the simple things. I would suggest disconnecting the battery negative, put a volt meter between the lead or even a test light. If it lights or shows current then you know you have a draw. If not its a short in the battery. I had an issue there was no draw but my battery kept going dead. I swapt batteries and had the same problem. for me it was the converter (univlot) I switched that and I am fine.
same goes with testing the system . you can pull fuses till light or volt meter stops reading. I hope this helps
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I also want to add my fuses are in the univolt box under the bath tub accessed threw the right rear access door
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Thanks for the replies

I did find the airstream 12 volt inverter and fuses behind a panel, it is actually behind the tub. I was expecting a circuit breaker panel like my boat has but had to remind myself of the age of this thing. There is definitly a draw on the battery because I get a good spark when I join the quick connect but I am unable to find anything turned on in the trailer. The next step will be to take out each fuse until I find the source. Thanks for the help.
gbroughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Draining the battery? Well, shucks, I didn't know that Airstream wiring was made by Lucas, Prince of Darkness! (For those not in the know, Lucas did the wiring for many early British sports cars, which are well known for their electrical problems.)

Ok, so here's the way to locate the drain from my experience with the MGB. Get yourself a wiring diagram and a little ammeter. Turn everything off and test each circuit. If you've got a short someplace, that circuit will show something on the meter. Keep tracking until you locate the culprit.

Of course, if there is no drain, then you've just got a crummy battery.

Lynn
Old 01-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbroughman
I did find the airstream 12 volt inverter and fuses behind a panel, it is actually behind the tub. I was expecting a circuit breaker panel like my boat has but had to remind myself of the age of this thing. There is definitly a draw on the battery because I get a good spark when I join the quick connect but I am unable to find anything turned on in the trailer. The next step will be to take out each fuse until I find the source. Thanks for the help.
That will isolate the circuit that is causing the draw, then you can use the wiring diagram to pinpoint it...maybe Do you have an upgraded fridge? The new style ones use 12v to keep the controller board active. Thermostat off? Check the control panel IIRC mine has a slight draw on it. LP detectors (if it has been added) are always a culprit.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
1972 12 Volt Wiring

Diagram you wanted. Good Luck....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1972 12 Volt Diagram.pdf (1.60 MB, 78 views)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote