Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Some Circut breaker help please ??

I'm installing a 45 amp smart converter in my 1972 overlander along with 2 commercial sized yellow top Optima batteries with a perco battery switch .
What I need to know should I put a 50 amp circuit breaker between the battery switch and the converter on both the positive and negative cables ? Also do I need to put a circuit breaker on the 10 guage blue wire coming from the tow vehicle ? If so how large of one ( hoW many amps ? ) also where should this wire go ? To the battery switch maybe ?
I'm hoping Lewster from Hood River ,Oregon chimes in on this one he is almost in my back yard ( maybe 70 miles away).
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The output of the converter will shut down (crowbar) before you trip the 50 amp breaker(s). Will the breakers protect the wiring to the battery if there is a downstream short?
Assuming the blue line is the charge line. There will be protection in the TV. If it is the electric brakes do not install fuses or breakers. IMHO

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
I'm still waiting to where I should wire in the blue charge line I hope to get a few more answers
Old 11-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Ordinarily the blue wire is for electric brakes, not the charge wire.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Ordinarily the blue wire is for electric brakes, not the charge wire.

Brevi tempore!
Are you sure ? I'm hoping more people chime in here because I'm thinking it's the charge line being it such a heavy guage wire ?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Some Circut breaker help please ??

I cant say for sure about your combination, but without fail on every vehicle I have set up for towing, trucks and trailers alike, the blue wire is electric brakes.

I have set up a LOT of trucks and trailers to tow.

Common sense would dictate that the trailer electric supply would be a big wire, but this is one of those places where common sense runs contrary to what vehicle manufactures do. Most trailer hot lines wired in by vehicle manufacturers are 14 gauge or smaller.

As a rule, the biggest wire in the factory tow harness is going to be the brake control.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
On your '72 the blue wire was most likely the charge wire and yellow was used for brakes. AS used different color codes in the 70's than are used today.

Since the charge wire can get power from the tow vehicle or the trailer, it needs to be fused at both ends, in the Tow vehicle and also in the trailer. A 30 amp fuse should do it as the amount of charge that you can put in from the tow vehicle is fairly minimal.

There is no reason to fuse the negative side. Airstream used to do that, but it is one thing I have never figured out a reason for.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
On your '72 the blue wire was most likely the charge wire and yellow was used for brakes. AS used different color codes in the 70's than are used today.

Since the charge wire can get power from the tow vehicle or the trailer, it needs to be fused at both ends, in the Tow vehicle and also in the trailer. A 30 amp fuse should do it as the amount of charge that you can put in from the tow vehicle is fairly minimal.

There is no reason to fuse the negative side. Airstream used to do that, but it is one thing I have never figured out a reason for.
This is exactly what I thought , where would you wire the blue charge line ? Should it go to the battery switch ?
Thanks for every bodies feedback and keep it coming
Old 11-05-2015, 10:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Don't give up now folks I still need some answers here
Old 11-06-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
If your switch is like I think, then yes, that would be best. Dual battery switches are usually OFF, Battery A, Battery B and Both, so if your charge line is hooked to the + terminal it will feed your house loads and either or both batteries unless switch is in it's off position. In the off position the charge line probably will feed the house loads so be aware that you could drain the starting battery. Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote