Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #1
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Smoke smell and hot breakers

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438363740.660230.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	244345
I had a smoke smell in the bathroom and found the breaker box to be hot. I have unplugged the camper and turned off the breakers. The top left was the hottest, but try all had some heat to them. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the issue? Suggestions on what to do? I have 2 more nights to go.
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Ventura , California
It sounds like you may have a loose connection in your breaker panel. Check that all wires at terminals are tight and that where the breaker plugs into the bussbar (back of breaker ) there are no loose connections. This mean that you will have to remove the breakers to check this connectio (you shouldn't have to remove the wire at the terminal) . There should be no annealing (heat damaged copper will be black and stiffer than normal). There's some other tests that are better and that you can do with a multimeter that reads in millivolts, but I would have to talk you through it over the phone. Also I couldn't tell what year airstream you have, I know they use aluminum I think from 66 through 68 or 69. If yours is one of these years this may be just the tip of the iceberg.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
SparkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Airstream Newby

1975 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Thank you. I ended up replacing all the breakers and have no more issues. I think they had been bad for a while because I would always have some heat from the box. Now, I do not have any heat coming from the box.
CMSmith is offline   Reply With Quote