Old 07-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Well folks, the converter just never really worked right. Never could get the fan on it to run, power was always low and GFCI simply tripped and tripped. Finally installed the new GFCI (as recommended early on in this post) and all seems to be well. Fan runs on the converter for the first time and I seem to have good power everywhere. Still need to chase down where the ac is wired because it does not seem to be proper. But...The power is on!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Well folks, the converter just never really worked right. Never could get the fan on it to run, power was always low and GFCI simply tripped and tripped. Finally installed the new GFCI (as recommended early on in this post) and all seems to be well. Fan runs on the converter for the first time and I seem to have good power everywhere. Still need to chase down where the ac is wired because it does not seem to be proper. But...The power is on!
Yea!

What a relief. Once my batteries are charged up and the Inteli-Power goes into maintenance mode, the fan almost never runs on mine. It's totally silent anyway, the only way I can tell it's running is to shine a flashlight at the fan.

Be sure to let us know what you find out about the AC too.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Greenwood , South Carolina
I installed a intellipower last year, GFCI tripped multiple times, at odd intervels. I replaced the breaker, it trips less but it still does. Manufacturer was no help. Somehow GFCI is detecting fault in new invertor, even tried a new new invertor to no avail.
We ended up running a drop cord to another outlet, guess I'll have to run a new wire to the panel box during the rebuild. Any thoughts?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think that GFCI circuit breakers should not be used to power a converter.
Not knowing exactly how the converter is designed, but having worked with DC power supplies for years. The heat sink assembly is used to cool components on the DC side of the Converter. These components are mounted to the heat sink assembly, which in the case of the converters also has an aluminum case which is grounded to the 120 volt AC power source.
The GFCI is obviously detecting some minute current flow that causes it to trip. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the converter. It could be something as simple as an AC ripple riding on a DC level or vise versa.
Most converters (in my opinion) are just low grade DC power supplies with limited filtering and mildy accurate voltage regulation.
Trip could be caused by the surge that happens when the cooling fan starts inside the converter. Who knows?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I think that GFCI circuit breakers should not be used to power a converter.
Not knowing exactly how the converter is designed, but having worked with DC power supplies for years. The heat sink assembly is used to cool components on the DC side of the Converter. These components are mounted to the heat sink assembly, which in the case of the converters also has an aluminum case which is grounded to the 120 volt AC power source.
The GFCI is obviously detecting some minute current flow that causes it to trip. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the converter. It could be something as simple as an AC ripple riding on a DC level or vise versa.
Most converters (in my opinion) are just low grade DC power supplies with limited filtering and mildy accurate voltage regulation.
Trip could be caused by the surge that happens when the cooling fan starts inside the converter. Who knows?
The factory wired the outlet for the original Univolt on the GFCI breaker. They obviously find no problem with converters on the GFCI. I've never had a problem with either the Univolt or the Inteli-Power tripping the GFCI.

If you look at page 3 of the pdf of the AC system I attached to post 27 of this thread, you can see that the wire to the Univolt in the front is on the same circuit as the external, bedroom, and bath outlets. Just as my trailer is wired, so it's not some PO mod but the way it left the factory.

I know other have had problems with the GFCIs tripping. I don't really have an explanation why a converter should trip them. Mine has only tripped when there really was a problem, like rain on an extension cord outside. (Bad as I hate to admit it)
Old 08-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #34
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
fan doesn't run (much)

Our 9260 is two years old, bought on recommendation from Andy and the Hackneys. Really great for us -- fan is not only far quieter than the oem charger (Parallax 7355) but also rarely runs full speed. Huge cooling fins on the 9260 pull the heat off without much work from the fan. Occasionally we hear the fan if we've been without shore power AND solar awhile, and the 9260 goes into boost mode long enough to heat up.

Only complication this great install brought to us is the input current -- rated at 1,000 watts it is at the max (or even a little above) for our 1K Yamaha generator. We don't often run the generator but when we do when we're dry camping AND don't have solar for more than a day because the batteries are below 12 volts. So the 9260 wants to go full-on, make everything go at full blast right away.

Here's what we have to do:
1) We use the charge wizard to force the 9260 to storage mode,
2) Open the 110v circuit breaker feeding the 9260
3) Make sure the fridge is on gas, NOT on automatic (we forget sometimes to force it to gas and the generator doesn't know it can't carry the fridge's extra several hundred watts plus the 9260's 600 to 1,000 watts)
4) Start the generator and let it get to temperature (just takes a couple of minutes)
5) Close the 110v circuit breaker feeding the 9260

Everything works perfectly this way. And the batteries get charged fast from the generator, far better than the Parallax ever could. And no, it wouldn't be better to get a larger generator -- we don't need it for what we do (and don't want the extra weight). We only use the generator for emergency road service or for very rare battery maintenance, maybe once or twice a year.

Thanks Andy and Matt and Beth for great recommendation!
4)

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Final pics

Hi folks,
I started this a while back, got a bunch of great advice and never posted the final results. my bad.. couple pics showing the intellipower installed and then finally with the chairs in and the cover on. We installed this at the same time we were doing the floors. The cover for the intellipower is a hard bamboo basket with plenty of room for air to get thru. (World Market) I made a cut in the back for the wires and turned it upside down on top of the converter. One thing I think I could have done better was re-consider where I mounted that little blinky green light. I get a nice view of it all night long...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chairs.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	144139   Click image for larger version

Name:	intellipower.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	144140  

WBCCI 3805
Old 10-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Hi folks,
One thing I think I could have done better was re-consider where I mounted that little blinky green light. I get a nice view of it all night long...
Change beds with Skye--then you..............wait for it..........

"won't see the light"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Change beds with Skye--then you..............wait for it..........

"won't see the light"
Well Done Bruce!
Made me laugh (or LOL)

WBCCI 3805
Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
McLeod , Texas
Chuck and Skye,

Just reading the thread all the way through. Really enjoyed the picture of your living room. Beautiful. We are starting on our 56 Overlander and kinda wanted to do the chair seating versus dinette seating. The picture helps a lot. Do those chairs recline?

Tom
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Thanks guys. Skye actually ordered them on-line somewhere and it was a heck of a lot cheaper than Dillards or something. And yes, they recline, and they each came with an ottoman but we only put one in there and we share it. I did not mount the chairs down either. We slide them back into the corners (ha, corners) and they stay just fine. Grips on the bottom hold them in place pretty good. Much more comfortable than a dinette I think but you do give up that extra emergency sleeping space.
Here are a couple more pics. One is the sofa that was in there when we bought it. Too big for us, so it is in my daughters den now. The other is a little bit more realistic on the floor and chair colors than the one posted above.
Have fun with that project!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front recliners.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	144380   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor and chairs.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	144381  

WBCCI 3805