Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sick and tired of battling batteries!!

For more than 10 years I've been fighting with the ^&^$%% battery compartments on Airstreams. Did it again over weekend. Has anybody switch to 6-v batts and found it easier to get them IN and OUT of those absurdly small compartments?? I've never SEEN a golf cart battery so I have a lot to learn about this subject!
But I'd like to get my hands around the throat of the imbecile who designed the battery compartments on A'Screams!!! Ha!
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Golf cart batteries are even taller than the ones typically found in the battery compartments.
If you do zero boondocking, or using the battery a lot when not hooked up to shore power, you can get a group 34 battery to put in your coach. It is the same footprint as the one usually found in the compartment (like a group 24), but is almost an inch shorter in height. They are not available in deep cycle, though. Our Sovereign came with a 34 in the battery compartment because the PO got tired of hassling with the 24's.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Golf Cart batteries are typically a bit taller than a 12 volt deep cycle battery. There is no way I could ever fit even one of them into the small battery compartment on our trailer. We plan on installing them on the tongue behind the propane tanks, and I'll need to build a special box for them.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use an OPTIMA yellow top battery with a blade disconnect switch. The battery only gets charged when the blade is down. I use a small condition meter attached to it to read the charge state, and the battery is always ready to go, no issues with it dying.
With an Optima if you screw up and forget to charge it , the battery wills till come back to full charge from below 10v, which usually kills a "normal" battery.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
AGM batteries are maintainance free and you can intall them in any position. But you should have a 3 phase converter that is compatable with the battery.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
I have a battery question - I read Alan's post above - can someone enlighten me as to what the blade disconnect switch is and why and when to use it? Also, where can I buy a battery condition meter to attach to battery? Alan's set up sounds pretty nifty.

I have a '76 21' Globe Trotter. Any suggestions on what battery size? The existing battery seems to be dead and it was always hard closing the door (read that this is just the nature of the "poor" design. Thanks!
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
I have a battery question - I read Alan's post above - can someone enlighten me as to what the blade disconnect switch is and why and when to use it? Also, where can I buy a battery condition meter to attach to battery? Alan's set up sounds pretty nifty.

I have a '76 21' Globe Trotter. Any suggestions on what battery size? The existing battery seems to be dead and it was always hard closing the door (read that this is just the nature of the "poor" design. Thanks!
A "battery condition meter" is nothing more than a volt meter.

It has no idea what the real condition of the battery might be.

The battery could be 50 to 60 percent down, and that meter would say "fair".

That offers little to no help.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniedog View Post
For more than 10 years I've been fighting with the ^&^$%% battery compartments on Airstreams. Did it again over weekend. Has anybody switch to 6-v batts and found it easier to get them IN and OUT of those absurdly small compartments?? I've never SEEN a golf cart battery so I have a lot to learn about this subject!
But I'd like to get my hands around the throat of the imbecile who designed the battery compartments on A'Screams!!! Ha!
Do your batts have handles?

This is not the brand or style battery I use...(best picture though). I struggled with the same problem til I fastened a pull strap attached to the end of the battery where the handle is attached.
Lift up and slide out, it still ain't easy with a heavy AGM but it is doable..

Batt disconnect...
Old 03-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If you liken electricity in your battery to water in your tank, voltage is the temperature and amperage is the volume or capacity. Any volt meter will give you the "temperature" of your battery, but I know of no meter that will give you the "volume", or in other words, just how much "work" your battery has left. As the voltage drops, the amount of "work" left does diminish on a progressive scale. The higher amperage capacity battery or batteries you use, the more volume you have in your tank.

Work is done by amperage.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

You can get a digital battery voltage meter and blade disconnect switch from most RV parts sources, such as Camping World or your Airstream dealer.
Your battery should be a BCI group 27, though the slightly shorter length group 24 would be easier to get in the battery compartment.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Volt meters do have little value unless you are measuring a "rested" battery. The Voltminder we carry does have a programmable alarm however so its very popular for boondockers. In other words, while watching TV at night for instance, you can program it to alarm at 12.2 or so to notify when you are getting down to the magic 50% that you should not exceed. Since its a slow drain from an inverter or 12 volt TV, they are handy and pretty accurate but not perfect.
If you really want to know the actual amp hours remaing in your batteries, you need a shunt and a meter that measures amp hours used from the battery and replenished through your charger, solar or any charge source. They give you an exact number all of the time. The Trimetric 2025 RV is our most popular.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
voltmeter not so useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
. . ., but I know of no meter that will give you the "volume", or in other words, just how much "work" your battery has left.
How about the Trimetric 2020 -- it provides information on the battery "volume" as amp hours? You get amp hours used, amp hours remaining for your battery bank. Not a portable meter, but a useful meter nonetheless.

We use a voltmeter. Despite what some may say about voltmeters uselessness regarding battery condition, we get a read on our batteries' relative power. This has worked sufficiently for us for the past two years and we expect to continue successfully awhile longer.

I'd love to have the smart meter like on many solar charge controllers and also on the Trimetric 2020. But the voltmeter has served us sufficiently well (e.g., boondocking up to ten days (in 18 - 35 degree F nights) just this past October). I can't justify paying $130 for a meter to get to know my battery that much better.

We use a pair of Interstate 2200 6-volt (golf cart) batteries. They have much more umph than the original ones. But they won't fit in the battery recesses you have. These batteries are almost two inches taller than our 12 volt batteries were.

We're fortunate to have already the battery box between the propane cylinders and the trailer, so the 6v batteries fit therein. Now I'd like to add another pair of them on top, but that's for another thread another time.

Good luck,
Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
chanhassen , Minnesota
Boy - did I ever meet a bunch of intelligent folks at Airforums!

Thanks - a lot of good stuff to chew on. Now, where to find a good source and brand of battery. The Yellow Top by Optima looks really cool but nobody will be able to ooh and aah while it's hidden in the battery compartment. How about a Sears deep cycle or Interstate?
kentuvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Boy - did I ever meet a bunch of intelligent folks at Airforums!

Thanks - a lot of good stuff to chew on. Now, where to find a good source and brand of battery. The Yellow Top by Optima looks really cool but nobody will be able to ooh and aah while it's hidden in the battery compartment. How about a Sears deep cycle or Interstate?
Unless it's changed, both the Die Hard and Interstate are manufactured by the same company (Johnson Controls). I've had both brands, and they've both worked and lasted about the same.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question 6v negative...

Is it not true?...one 6v dies and 'yer out'a luck!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Is it not true?...one 6v dies and 'yer out'a luck!!
Pretty much. But if you only have one 12 volt battery, and a cell croaks, it also sucks to be you...
Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Costco sells deep cycle batteries for much less than RV or battery stores. The golf cart batteries I bought there were only $70. They are made by Johnson Controls.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Pretty much. But if you only have one 12 volt battery, and a cell croaks, it also sucks to be you...
Yes...but don't you need two 6v to make one 12v?

it would suck for you to be me.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
We have had the best luck with Auto Zone Duralast 12V marine duel purpose battery.
They have lasted us boondocking hard the best and are $$$ less than Optima.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Had a 79 31' with 2 battery compartments with deep cycle Interstate batteries. To add extra capacity I installed 2 6v golf cart batteries in a battery box mounted between frame rails just behind propane tanks. Battery box was mounted on 2 pieces if 1" angle aluminum bolted to bottom of frame. You have to move propane tank mount 1" forward and re-weld to frame to fit. Should give you all the power you need for a weekend of boondocking. I bought battery box online from a supplier in Washington state. Ran 8ga wire from 6v thru vent for univolt to fuse panel. Worked well for me.
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote