Old 07-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #29
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I always believed AGM batteries need to be inside. -- snip --
My understanding is that AGM batteries can be inside, because they do not off-gas and therefore do not need to be vented. However, they do not have to be inside or otherwise temperature controlled. Just don't let them discharge to the point they freeze.

It is the Lithium banks that need to be kept in a warm place. However, folks are using them in a standard tongue batter box and accepting that the bank will not take a charge until the air temp warms. For folks chasing warm weather, that works. Some care with respect to break away battery capability is advised. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:18 AM   #30
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I always believed AGM batteries need to be inside. Does anyone have experience to the contrary? I have two Crown AGM 6 volts behind the sofa and would like to add two more but there is not enough room. Would have to fabricate a custom box because my rig has the brake actuated pump where batteries would normally be.
Hi

Nope, they are very normal lead acid battery chemistry. You can run them outdoors in the same conditions you would run any lead acid. If they are discharged, they will indeed freeze (and rupture) up around 20 degrees (F). You would *never* have them that flat unless there was some sort of problem.

One obvious "gotcha" with lead acid would be a storage situation where you forgot to disconnect the batteries. I *guess* that could create a freeze problem. I have never heard of anybody ever running into that.

Lithiums have a BMS in them that cuts off charging below freezing. They will still supply current (discharge) when cold. In terms of the freeze / rupture stuff, they are good to about -40 degrees (F or C).

With all of this, it's the temperature inside the battery that counts. They are big heavy lumps of "stuff". Air temperature can move a lot faster than they do. To freeze one, it probably takes a day or three of cold temperature.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, only Lion should be inside. Any acid based chemistry could vent out.

is that worth the risk to you or your family?
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
IMHO, only Lion should be inside. Any acid based chemistry could vent out.

is that worth the risk to you or your family?
I used to think this way, until my prior employer started installing agm batteries in the passenger cabin of cars. That said, the delco batteries to have a high pressure catastrophic failure valve, a hose fitting, and a hose running through the floor of the car.

Do common rv agm batteries have such a fitting? I know they also have failure vents, but where would they vent?
My Chevrolet volt has an agm installed in the rear under the load.floor.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
My understanding is that AGM batteries can be inside, because they do not off-gas and therefore do not need to be vented. However, they do not have to be inside or otherwise temperature controlled. Just don't let them discharge to the point they freeze.

It is the Lithium banks that need to be kept in a warm place. However, folks are using them in a standard tongue batter box and accepting that the bank will not take a charge until the air temp warms. For folks chasing warm weather, that works. Some care with respect to break away battery capability is advised. Pat

Thanks Bob.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
South Berwick , Maine
I think people missed the second or third comment about just rotate a single battery and keep the same cables. This works.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
I didn't like that because it puts the plus and minus too close together for my comfort. I spent the $10 or so to get longer cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSansoucie View Post
I think people missed the second or third comment about just rotate a single battery and keep the same cables. This works.

leedav is offline   Reply With Quote