Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The shore power cord you have sounds like it has marine connectors on it. If so, marine parts stores like West Marine have adapters that will work.

One of the "straight" or "pigtail" adapters below is probably what you need. Please post photos of the connectors on your shore power cable and the outlet you are attempting to connect to, and we can help identify which one will work:

http://catalogs.westmarine.com/WebPr...pagelabel=396#

Note: Marine parts are pricey, as they have to survive saltwater and a lot of abuse on the dock. You may find purchasing a new shore power cable with the proper connectors is cheaper than buying an adapter. Then, you can recoup part of the cost by selling your old cable to a boat owner (assuming it's in good shape).

Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
What you have is the older style 220V plug used with welders water heaters and ranges.

You really need the 3 prong 30 amp plug Lowe's and Home Depot carry the right plug.

Ask or look for a NEMA TT-30P is the correct plug.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
The dryer plug that vswingfield linked is the plug type on my trailer. It is apparently original, at least that is what the original owner stated. I have done more searching now that I know what I have, however cannot find an adapter. I will check with some boating folks. The cord looks to be in very good condition, if no go at a boat shop I will replace the plug.
Perhaps, I do not even need a 30 amp plug as long as the normal house plug is available at camp grounds. I plugged my trailer into my house with the adapter I have. I turned on all the lights, microwave and my portable air conditioner, all ran fine, did not trip any breakers. What do you think?
Thanks to all!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
If I were you, I'd put the proper RV plug on. If you want to use a house outlet, adapters are cheap and easy to find. See RV Cords and Adapters and http://tweetys.com/replacement-plugs-electrical.aspx for examples of your choices in cords and adapters.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
Thanks for the link to Vintage Trailers, problem solved I think? They have an adapter to convert from a household plug to the standard RV 30 amp plug. Since I can now adapt from my "dryer plug" to household this will allow me to convert the household end to standard RV. This site and it's contributors are great! Now on to a couple of other problems.

Adapter 30A to 15A
Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburg58 View Post
Thanks for the link to Vintage Trailers, problem solved I think? They have an adapter to convert from a household plug to the standard RV 30 amp plug. Since I can now adapt from my "dryer plug" to household this will allow me to convert the household end to standard RV. This site and it's contributors are great! Now on to a couple of other problems.

Adapter 30A to 15A
I still think you should go the other way. That is, put an RV plug on and adapt to the household outlet when you use them. That way, when you have access to a 30 amp outlet at a campground, you will have a 30 amp connection instead of going through the household connector.

Having said that, my Trade wind still has the household type plug that a PO put on before I got it.

If you're going to change the plug anyway though, I'd go with the higher capacity one and adapt down when necessary.

By the way, you should be able to find those adapters locally. HD and WalMart may have them (it kind of depends on the store and who's keeping the shelves restocked). Just about any RV dealer will.