Old 10-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Shore power

When I plug into shore power does it also charge the batteries?

2012 FC 19

Old 10-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Yes, jim

Old 10-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
If your use/store switch is set to use.

You may already know this but I didn't until recently (which cost me two batteries) if you are connected to shore power your battery monitor will show full batteries even if they are completely discharged.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post
If your use/store switch is set to use.

You may already know this but I didn't until recently (which cost me two batteries) if you are connected to shore power your battery monitor will show full batteries even if they are completely discharged.

Yes...by all means, do not rely on the panel monitor for battery state of charge while plugged in to shore power, it just shows green because they are receiving charge voltage from the converter.
They may very well be "charged dry".

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
I had checked the accuracy of my panel monitor which was fairly accurate. My batteries discharged and sat discharged because my monitor showed a full charge. I had my switch set to store so I wouldn't over charge them....... Same result I guess......ruined batteries.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
I had checked the accuracy of my panel monitor which was fairly accurate. My batteries discharged and sat discharged because my monitor showed a full charge. I had my switch set to store so I wouldn't over charge them....... Same result I guess......ruined batteries.
If the battery switch is in "store", the converter did not ruin the batteries because it is disconnected. (But it must be put in "use" to recharge the batteries from time to time.)

My first new Airstream came with almost ruined batteries from sitting on the dealership showroom floor for a year plugged into shore power and battery switch left in "use" for the tire kickers.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Sorry my post wasn't that clear..... I ruined my batteries. Granted they weren't in great shape from the dealer. I didn't realize the monitor would read a full charge if shore power was connected even though it was in " store" mode. Every time I turned on the monitor to check it would show full charge, so I didn't change the switch to "use". I let them sit discharged.......
Old 10-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
snip.. My first new Airstream came with almost ruined batteries from sitting on the dealership showroom floor for a year plugged into shore power and battery switch left in "use" for the tire kickers.
Ours also....it was left plugged in 24/7 for 2 months on the dealer lot. Interstate did pro-rate them.

Captain.....

You might consider an upgrade to a converter that will supply a charge profile that won't trash the batteries when plugged in with the isolation switch on.....or keep a very watchful eye on things.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
An installation of solar power will not only make your Airstream more versatile, but will keep your batteries perfectly charged at all times (unless you store it under cover). But you still have to put the battery switch in "store" position to isolate it from the converter, which is any time external power is plugged in.

Without solar, use the "store" position any time your have external electrical hookup, even when camping, to isolate the batteries. That is, except when you actually need to charge the batteries; when charged switch it back to "store".

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

I can't get my solar to werk....

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Take off your sunglasses.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Ours also....it was left plugged in 24/7 for 2 months on the dealer lot. Interstate did pro-rate them. Captain..... You might consider an upgrade to a converter that will supply a charge profile that won't trash the batteries when plugged in with the isolation switch on.....or keep a very watchful eye on things. Bob
That's exactly what I'm going to do......upgrade my converter when I buy new batteries.....as soon as the govt shutdown is over and our pay checks start coming again.

I don't understand.....now that I've researched the issue.....why airstream doesn't use a better converter. Even though I now know how to monitor the batteries the stock parallax converter is worthless. It doesn't bulk charge properly nor does it maintain a charged battery properly.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm going to do......upgrade my converter when I buy new batteries.....as soon as the govt shutdown is over and our pay checks start coming again.

I don't understand.....now that I've researched the issue.....why airstream doesn't use a better converter. Even though I now know how to monitor the batteries the stock parallax converter is worthless. It doesn't bulk charge properly nor does it maintain a charged battery properly.
It does make a good 12v power supply....as long as there isn't a battery connected to it.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 10-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
I am guessing here, but the power center that the Paralax converter/charger is in appears to be a standard RV type, complete with both the 120 volt circuit breakers as well as the 12 volt side, including the converter and fuses. Apparently Paralax is the only one who makes such a combination, and it is convenient for the RV manufactures to use it rather than supping an individual 120 volt circuit breaker panel, a converter/charger, and a 12 volt fuse panel. The RV manufacturer deals with, and wires, one device, rather than three.

Paralax does not make a unit, as far as I can find, with a 3 stage converter/charger section, so if AS wants to use the single box system with all 120 and 12 volt parts in one unit, they cannot buy it with the 3 stage converter/charger, and no one else makes one which has all three parts either.

Now Progressive Dynamics makes a converter/charger with 12 volt fuse panel which fits directly into the Paralax box, but they do not make a rival total 3 part box that a manufacturer can purchase. So, for AS to use the single box 120 volt circuit breakers, converter charger and 12 volt fuse system, they are forced to use Paralax equipment. I can remove the guts of the converter/charger and fuses but they cannot, and have anything which is cost effective for them.

I am speculating of course, but bet I am close to the real reason that AS continues to use the Paralax single stage converter/charger.