Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Routing wires between inverter and panel

So if I install lithium batteries and a hybrid inverter/charger under my front queen bed, I am guessing I will need to route some new wires from the there to my existing AC and DC distribution panels, located with the stock converter in the base of a kitchen cabinet just in front of the wheel wells. Since the stock batteries and inverter are already up front perhaps I'll be able to reuse some wires? But surely between the addition of the new hybrid inverter, and splitting some AC circuits to not be on the inverter, and perhaps need for larger wires, I will have to route some wires between these two locations. Am I going to have to open up the belly pan to do this? There is no way to do it through cabinets because in my 27' FC FB the front queen is in the center of the front. Also, for those of you who have reused your existing AC panel as a sub panel and added a new main panel for the inverter and to feed the sub panel, where did you put it? --Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Everything is under the bed in the 25FB so I cannot offer you any insight. I hope someone like Lewster can help.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I saw one post where someone built a chase along the base of the trailer wall to get from the front nightstand to the bathroom wall, which would them let them route wires through the cabinets. Not sure if that is more work, and potentially unsightly, then accessing things from underneath. --Frank
Equalizer Hitch
Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
In my 2004 AS classic 28, there is a 2 1/2 inch PVC pipe that runs under the floor from the front drivers side corner (under the couch arm rest) to underneath the cabinet next to the frig cabinet. It is specifically for wire routing. This is how I routed wires back to the main and sub panels from my inverter. You may have a similar pipe or conduit up front under the bed.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
Makes sense that their should be a chase for the existing battery and inverter wires, I'll go look!
Equalizer Hitch
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Frank,

Just curious if you found a pipe/chase in your trailer. I took out the rest of the carpeting and furniture this weekend. I can now see that there are two pipes. One for 12v wiring and one for 120v wiring.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I need to take the mattress and cover off my front queen bed to get in their and really look--may get started on it this weekend.--Frank
Equalizer Hitch
Old 01-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I run cables from the power center near the galley to under the bed of the 27FB regularly. here are a couple of shots of the exposed cables, and then of them covered behind my proprietary aluminum wire chase.

This installation has 2 runs of 6/3 marine cable for the inverter 120VAC feeds and a few comm cables for the solar monitor panel, shunt and Magnum ME-RC.

You can use a variety of materials for this purpose, but it does require a bit of cabinet surgery and wire routing magic.
Attached Images

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:41 AM   #9

2017 27' International
Whistler , British Columbia
Hi I saw on one of the forums a reference to running wire from the roof via a cabinet in a fb model. Anyone have more details? Ty in advance.
Fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
So Lew, I guess that means there is not a factory installed chase in a 27FB! Guess I will be looking into building something like you did or investigating how much work it is to drop a piece of the belly pan. Lew where do you usually install the battery monitor display or inverter remote control panel?
Equalizer Hitch
Old 01-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fran&frank View Post
So Lew, I guess that means there is not a factory installed chase in a 27FB! Guess I will be looking into building something like you did or investigating how much work it is to drop a piece of the belly pan. Lew where do you usually install the battery monitor display or inverter remote control panel?
You might try a local sheet metal or fabrication shop that has a large bending brake to make the chase. I would use a minimum of .040 aluminum.

Removing a belly pan to run cables is a major job and I would only use it as an absolute last resort....I try NEVER to run cables outside the area below the finished floor.

If you were using Blue Sky/Magnum products, you could re-purpose the existing Cat5-e cable that runs in the galley wall. along with the existing inverter comm cable for all of your needs.

With Victron components, the comm wiring requires more conductors and needs new cables, which can't be fished vertically thru the outer walls. This leaves the rear wall in the lav or the hallway wall where the tank vent pipe runs from the floor to the roof. There is space behind the diagonal trim wall to the left of the toilet when facing it.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote