Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2002, 11:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Replacing wire harness

I have recently purchased a 1998 Excella 28 and need to replace the wire harness that leads from the Airstream to the tow vehicle. I have located all the connections inside the trailer and have the wiring diagram. I think I can make make all the new connections OK, but want to make sure there are no hidden pitfalls before I begin. Also, does anyone have any recommendatioons for a source for the wiring harness?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 08-19-2002, 12:58 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Les,

Usally when the time comes to make a new harness most folks just buy the ends that match the tow vehicle and the trailer. RV places usally have the ends as well as the bulk wire. Then it is just a matter of assembly. RV places will do it for you but there would be a labor fee involved.

Short answer is it is custom based on the trailer/vehicle.

The way you describe it, it sounds like your harness directly connects to the trailer??? Usally there is a socket style connector on the front of the trailer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 01:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Suggestions for new wiring

I would suggest that care is used to select materials for project. A wire called mtw, read machine tool wire, is terrific for most wiring, and is tranded. This wire is very common and available at most electrical stores and sign companys. The wiring from tow vehicle is not a long distance and Number 12 AWG will do a good job. If possible, after check to be assured all connections are correct, soldering is very good. The connections inside the quick electrical disconnect should have all the wire ends soldered before fastening with screw. The new can wire sleeving is good instead of lots of plastic tape to make a wire bundle for plug end. It is not necessary but different wire colors for different tasks is nice. Extra wire can be made into nice spare wire roll in trailer. Making a mechanical restraint for wire is required. Usually the ground wire will do this task well. I usually size the ground wire to # 8 AWG MTW with the ends crimped and soldered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rewire.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	451  
Old 08-19-2002, 04:39 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
with that new of a trailer i would go right to airstream for the harness.

that way you will get the moulded plug that is impervious to moisture.

the other end goes to the terminal block in the front of the trailer.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

My thanks to all who answered my question relative to replacing wire harness on the trailer. My Airstream must have been modified at sometime in its life because it does not have a plug in socket at the front of the trailer. The wires go up through the floor and into the same area with the converter, where they are spliced into other wires that lead to the lights, break, etc.

I have a call into Airstream technical support, so maybe I can find more information from them. Thanks again to everyone who responded. You have been a great help.

Les