Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
replacing univolt in 74 rear bath!!

I have a 74 rear bath International. The Univolt has quit and is incredibly hot. I need to upgrade with a new converter but can't figure out how to get the old Univolt out without removing the bathtub!!
Is it possible to rewire a new fuse panel and converter without removing the onl unit? Thanks!!!!
bubbainsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Yeah, that's a serious flaw with the design. If your bathroom is like mine you can get access to the univolt by removing the countertop and vertical panel next to the tub. You'll need to drill out several rivets to remove them, but it shouldn't be too hard.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Yeah, that's a serious flaw with the design. If your bathroom is like mine you can get access to the univolt by removing the countertop and vertical panel next to the tub. You'll need to drill out several rivets to remove them, but it shouldn't be too hard.
Yep, that's what maccamper did. He says to be sure and save the fuse panel to reuse it. The fuse panel is also your electrical distribution panel that you'll need to connect the new unit to.

Here's a link to a thread with some pictures. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...olt-41874.html

maccamper totally gutted the rear bath on our 1974 29 ft Ambassador so he had to take the whole bathtub out anyway.

Nancy Mac
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'm not sure which International you have, but if it's like our Sovereign International, I was able to remove the Univolt through the access door in the curbside rear closet. It sits almost under a corner of the bathtub, and is hard-wired in. You can remove the fuse panel, and re-use it with the new converter, I'd take a picture of where the wires go for reassembling reference.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
flint , Michigan
Mine came out the access door in the closet, too. In fact, it was kinda neat the way they did it. I undid one screw that held it in place and it slid right out on a thin piece of plywood.
flashbackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
In our 72 31 foor rear bath , the univolt came out an access into the closet. I had to take the floor out of the closet to get enough clearence, there were two screws counter sunk it a thin pice of plywood that the univolt is bolted to (it all comes out together). The univolt then slid out far enough to unhook the wires. I then cut the back half of the blue case off and all the univolt guts out. Wired my Intelli power to the fuse panel. then bent the "legs" of the new intelli power straight and mounted it to the sides of the old case. I mounted a stantard single outlet to the exterior wall (with the 110 wires from the univolt) and plugged in the intellipower and off we went! It is an easy job just dont over think it!

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks that's all good information. I'll have to look for the screws mentioned, otherwise its drill and rivet! Are there any wires on the back?
bubbainsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbainsd View Post
Are there any wires on the back?
Just the 120v ones.