Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Replacing Battery Box

Well last weekend we were out camping and subjected to some severe thunderstorms and heavy rain. Unfortunately I left the front battery door open to cool down the battery that we cooked the night before. Woke up with wet feet (sleeping on the floor as we have the trailer in deconstruction phase). After pulling the battery noticed the battery box is cracked from front to back. This could explain some past water stain around the battery box. So now it's time to address this. I've searched the forums and found post that several have gotten the white battery box with vent tube and eliminated the front door access. For those that have done this, where did you vent the battery. I don't want to be cutting holes in the trailer. Has anyone taken out the original box and replaced it. Looks like some rivets holding it in but access could be a challenge. And how well does it seal. The original box is angled down inside the coach...how did these things drain, if at all. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Bob
TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End 3 jpeg.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	108388  

Old 08-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
I added a second battery box to match the original such as what you have. If it were me I would try to keep the original box as is. I would remove it and replace the plastic box one with a new or use an epoxy glue and seal the leak (crack) in it. Originality is the ticket in my opinion. Since you have the cabin open I would consider a second battery box to match the one you have, gives you much more electric storage for boondocking.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
I added a second battery box to match the original such as what you have. If it were me I would try to keep the original box as is. I would remove it and replace the plastic box one with a new or use an epoxy glue and seal the leak (crack) in it. Originality is the ticket in my opinion. Since you have the cabin open I would consider a second battery box to match the one you have, gives you much more electric storage for boondocking.
I second airdreamers... this is a great time to fix the existing issue and add another battery. I believe that the battery will be the most expensive part of the project.