Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Crystal Beach , Texas
Thanks, Chicagoair! I appreciate the reply. We are similar in more than a few ways: 200 Ah of Lithium in the outside battery box hopefully in the shade and a Zamp portable hopefully in full sun. Great to hear how well your batteries did in Sante Fe!

An thanks for the link for the adapter. I filed it away in Evernote in case I get a panel with Anderson connectors.

In the past I have used three different "non-Zamp" portable solar panels, two AcoPower lightweight flexible panel kits and a Goal Zero hard panel. AcoPower custom made a polarity adapter for me (great customer service!) but now can be purchased bundled with a polarity adapter. Oddly, the Goal Zero Polarity adapter did not switch the polarity!!! I had to prove it to Goal Zero support.

My favorite polarity adapter for "normal SAE to Zamp SAE" is the Optimate, with weather shields to protect from rain. In case anyone is interested search Amazon for "Tecmate Optimate Cable O-27, Adapter, Polarity, SAE". I also modified a larger gauge cable and made a less attractive but more conductive version.

We are getting closer to launch! Yesterday, I ordered the 230W Zamp portable and a couple of the thickest solar extension cords, the ZS-HE-15FT-N. We hope to launch from AZ May 31 and head immediately to higher elevations and cooler temps.

Here is a picture of the Lion Energy Safari UTs installed in the non-modified battery box and the placement of the second Zamp Solar Port on the drivers side of the box:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	340888  
Changing Itinerary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I made a lithium upgrade.

Not replacement of the deep cycle 6v I have, but augmentation and expansion via a portable Goalzero 1000.

Just over 300Ah combined. For a bit over $800 upgrade cost. And flexibility to use in many ways.

I'll have an automatic transfer switch from my inverter that I can easily tires this into onboard. Of just utilize this batt for all my ancillary uses like charging devices, hair dryer, etc.

An easy 12V car charger should have this charging off my 400w roof mounted solar in parallel with the house batts.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I made a lithium upgrade.

Not replacement of the deep cycle 6v I have, but augmentation and expansion via a portable Goalzero 1000.

Just over 300Ah combined. For a bit over $800 upgrade cost. And flexibility to use in many ways.

I'll have an automatic transfer switch from my inverter that I can easily tires this into onboard. Of just utilize this batt for all my ancillary uses like charging devices, hair dryer, etc.

An easy 12V car charger should have this charging off my 400w roof mounted solar in parallel with the house batts.
We have been studying these also. Why did you select that model? Be interested to see your use report after a few camp trips.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post

We have been studying these also. Why did you select that model? Be interested to see your use report after a few camp trips.
Will surely update this as I get it and use it.

I went with this model as it is the smallest and lightest in the lineup with full 1500W (3000W surge) output capabilities over 120V. At 96 Ah capacity with full BMS, solar charging, USB/12V/120V inverter output capabilities, it's a great value at $1k. With the sale price I got it for at a bit over $800, a steal.

I've never been short power with my 225Ah 6V golf cart batts and 400W solar for any of the normal trailer loads. I want additional capacity and flexibility for all the "other" power things. What better way to do it than a modular battery pack. Now I can blend smoothies, brew, or cook outdoors anywhere too.

Consider that I'm not spending money replacing capacity that was there. It gives me a standalone backup solution for home/trailer/car if I needed one. It also gives me great flexibility for all the variety of camping that I do, including tent and car camping.

Goal Zero has 1400 (132Ah) and 3000 (280Ah) battery models, all with expandable capacity on top of that. When one considers they are not replacing but extending capacity, combined with ease of use and minimal to no installations costs... There's real value in these types of solutions.

BTW, these are all on sale (25% off) at REI and goalzero.com right now.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:

I went with this model as it is the smallest and lightest in the lineup with full 1500W (3000W surge) output capabilities over 120V. At 96 Ah capacity with full BMS, solar charging, USB/12V/120V inverter output capabilities, it's a great value at $1k. With the sale price I got it for at a bit over $800, a steal.

I've never been short power with my 225Ah 6V golf cart batts and 400W solar for any of the normal trailer loads. I want additional capacity and flexibility for all the "other" power things. What better way to do it than a modular battery pack. Now I can blend smoothies, brew, or cook outdoors anywhere too.

Consider that I'm not spending money replacing capacity that was there. It gives me a standalone backup solution for home/trailer/car if I needed one. It also gives me great flexibility for all the variety of camping that I do, including tent and car camping.

Goal Zero has 1400 (132Ah) and 3000 (280Ah) battery models, all with expandable capacity on top of that. When one considers they are not replacing but extending capacity, combined with ease of use and minimal to no installations costs... There's real value in these types of solutions.

BTW, these are all on sale (25% off) at REI and goalzero.com right now.
I was checking this one on line; several places to find it at $824, which seems pretty good. I did watch this youtube, which has some interesting testing...not sure if you saw it?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-20-2019, 01:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:

Interested in seeing what you do with it. I know you mentioned somewhere that you may install an automatic transfer switch. Where do you plan on putting the power bank (or do you intend to leave it “portable”)?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I was checking this one on line; several places to find it at $824, which seems pretty good. I did watch this youtube, which has some interesting testing...not sure if you saw it?
Yes, I've come across that one. Good and informative video. For trailer use, I don't intend to use its onboard PCM solar charger (upgradable to MPPT) or 120V charge capabilities. Rather direct 12V charge cable, capable of 5 or 10amps. Either fed off of my trailers MPPT charge controller directly or via detection of charging current on the 12V bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
Interested in seeing what you do with it. I know you mentioned somewhere that you may install an automatic transfer switch. Where do you plan on putting the power bank (or do you intend to leave it “portable”)?
I'll keep it easily portable. The primary use will have the 6V lead acid "house battery" cover the 12V loads. And this lithium "accessory battery" cover the 120V loads/devices. Lots of opportunities to mix and match to cover all my uses.

The lithium should shine in covering the 120V high output loads (A/C, microwave, hairdryer, coffee maker) because it has a better Peukert's constant to handle C-rate loads without compromising capacity.

With it on an automatic transfer switch means I can get somewhere and fire up the A/C right away. Then work on plugging in the trailer to hookups. Or start my genny to take over.

I'm installing this Progressive Dynamics PD5110610V automatic transfer switch currently - https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D...GDGTJJAG6Z3672
Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
This is what I have been using for past 8 years as a backup while boondocking, before I carried a generator and didn't have portable solar:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGG976D..._t3_B07661CL25

Think I paid around $250. Funny; I purchased at an Interstate dealer now that I think about it...I was exchanging my Interstate 12V batteries that were bad on my 2014 25'. We use this a lot and it does come in handy for jumpstarting when needed...have helped a few people out with it.

Not sure I would get full benefit of upgrading to the Goal Zero...but will watch a bit closer to your reporting...could be something I end up "needing"... (Just have to convince the wife.)
Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #29
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Received the Goal Zero 1000 and have been playing with it.

Initial impressions are positive. Well built, better than expected. Has literally everything integrated in a single package including BMS, chargers, solar charger, 1500W inverter, and a nice display/information center.

Best thing however is its ability to take on 120V high power loads. It takes it and shrugs off loads with ease, without sag or stress. Just a little background fan that comes on with the heaviest of loads. I tested it with hairdryer, microwave, heater, some going well over 2200W. It just doesn't care.

My 2000W inverter installed in my AS sure doesn't work this well against these types of loads.

The plan is to have the "house" trailer 6V 225Ah batteries run all the 12V loads. And use this portable 98Ah lithium goal zero unit to handle all the 120V loads.

Still waiting on a 12V car charger cable. This device charges at 5 or 10 amps. With a voltage sensing relay that only enables charging when 12.8V or above is detected on the 12V input. Perfect as it'll charge when it detects charging voltage from my 400W of installed solar, or the converter charger if I'm on hookups.

I've also installed an automatic 120V transfer switch in the trailer. Just have to plug in this goal zero unit with an added 120V pigtail, power the GZ inverter on, and I have 120V on all receptacles.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ll-196098.html
Old 05-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
For everyone's information, there are a few Goal Zero threads where your feedback would be helpful, in the context of each thread's topic, IMO:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Goal...com&gws_rd=ssl
1000 -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...co-163149.html

pteck existing thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...co-195704.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-a-178647.html
3000 -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-a-177828.html

M&M, as the original poster, are you still following this thread, and what battery solution did you find please?

Thanks,

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by M and M View Post
. . .
Any helpful input would be appreciated.

Thank you. M & M
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Bacliff , TX
AMPS Lithium