Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Replacement suggestions for Parallax 7455

We're looking to upgrade the electrical system on our 2004 30' Classic over the next couple years in preparation for retirement. Our 'end state' goal is to have the ability to boondock for 2-3 days completely off-grid with enough electrical for full usage (basically everything except AC). I expect this will include 400w-600w of solar, lithium batteries, and whatever electronics is required to make it easy to manage and monitor. I expect to be reaching out to either Lewster or AM Solar when that time comes, as I want it done right.

For now, the first step, so as not to boil any more batteries, is to replace the original Parallax 7455 converter (shown below) with a 4 stage charger/converter.

The reading I've done shows lots of people replacing their factory converter with the PD 4655, but I'm not sure that's the right one to replace ours, as the existing Parallax is floor mounted, not rack mounted.

Given that we're planning on adding solar and lithium in a couple years, what makes the most sense for a 4 stage converter replacement for us?

We currently have a 100w Go Power solar panel and controller installed by the previous owner, but I expect when we upgrade in a few years this will both be removed/replaced. For now, it allows us to keep the batteries topped up when we're not camping or connected to shore power.

Thanks for your advice,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2952.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	316771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2951.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	316772  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	316773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	316774  

WBCCI #1783, Region 2, Ontario Canada Unit
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Call Randy at BestConverter, they sell all of the major options and he may be able to guide you to the right one. Be sure to keep in mind any possible future battery chemistry changes so that you get a converter that is forward compatible with them (e.g. lithium).
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Call Randy at BestConverter, they sell all of the major options and he may be able to guide you to the right one. Be sure to keep in mind any possible future battery chemistry changes so that you get a converter that is forward compatible with them (e.g. lithium).

Thanks SHD! After writing my post, I emailed Randy and put the same question to him. He's suggested a converter that would work for me - a Boondocker 1260CL that will also charge lithium. I'll be giving him a call for details soon. I'm hoping that this is something that I can install myself.

Thanks!
Brawny
WBCCI #1783, Region 2, Ontario Canada Unit
Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
Thanks SHD! After writing my post, I emailed Randy and put the same question to him. He's suggested a converter that would work for me - a Boondocker 1260CL that will also charge lithium. I'll be giving him a call for details soon. I'm hoping that this is something that I can install myself.

Thanks!
Brawny
Brawny, that is definitely a DIY swap. Only 2 wires and a power cord.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:40 AM   #5
Lake Tahoe Airstream Club

2002 25' Safari
2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Minden , Nevada
Did you make this swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
We're looking to upgrade the electrical system on our 2004 30' Classic over the next couple years in preparation for retirement. Our 'end state' goal is to have the ability to boondock for 2-3 days completely off-grid with enough electrical for full usage (basically everything except AC). I expect this will include 400w-600w of solar, lithium batteries, and whatever electronics is required to make it easy to manage and monitor. I expect to be reaching out to either Lewster or AM Solar when that time comes, as I want it done right.

For now, the first step, so as not to boil any more batteries, is to replace the original Parallax 7455 converter (shown below) with a 4 stage charger/converter.

The reading I've done shows lots of people replacing their factory converter with the PD 4655, but I'm not sure that's the right one to replace ours, as the existing Parallax is floor mounted, not rack mounted.

Given that we're planning on adding solar and lithium in a couple years, what makes the most sense for a 4 stage converter replacement for us?

We currently have a 100w Go Power solar panel and controller installed by the previous owner, but I expect when we upgrade in a few years this will both be removed/replaced. For now, it allows us to keep the batteries topped up when we're not camping or connected to shore power.

Thanks for your advice,
Steve

We have the same converter as you did in our 2002 Safari.... We also have 165 w solar. Did you make this swap? Was it easy to do? Any tips?
linda7915 is offline   Reply With Quote