Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Beaumont , Texas
I just checked out the link. I am inspired to go at least partial LED. But, I do have a question. I live on the gulf coast. This means we have maybe 2 months a year of nice weather. 2 months of cold weather (which I love) and 9 months of hot and humid. Short of plugging in, Pole electricity or generation, How do I keep the trailer comfortable. Fans help and the windows work, but at night during the summer, It Is Brutal. This is why we stopped tent camping.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Now that is a good question! We live in Oregon, and are usually far more concerned about freezing than humidity! So, I have never calculated the energy requirements for AC. I do know that you can get small evaporative coolers that use a lot less energy than AC, but without knowing how much energy they use, I cannot say if you could run them off a solar system or not.

Here is someone who sells them:

Surround Symphony Portable Evaporative Air Cooler Offers Environmentally-Friendly Cooling

Might be worth looking into. Only other suggestion is a good pair of skivvies and a cold bottle of beer!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
ya gotta remember, though, that even though the optima's are half the money...they're also half the amp-hour capacity.
Actually, it is 80 vs 55 amp hour capacity. I also have solar which has worked well for us even with the wet cells. I also have a Honda 2000 generator which we hardly ever use but it gives us some confidence to stay off the grid for a long time.

I did get the Optimas at Costco as they were $140 after rebate vs $250 for the Lifelines (times 2, mind you). I would prefer the Cadillac but I think these will work well for us with my backup systems all working.

Thanks to you all for your input.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Beaumont , Texas
These swamp coolers work fairly well when the humidity is low, but in 90% humidity they just make a soggy mess. I know we have options, but are there any green options that will keep us comffy in our neck of the woods. (big thicket that is) Green is good, but three people in a 95 degree airstream is bad. But these swamp boxes may likely be a very good alternative in dry areas. Thanks for the post.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I'm not sure that you get the bang for the buck with AGMs. For what it's worth I upgraded just over 2 years ago to a parralex 55 amp temp control charger and add 2 more batteries using vent boxes inside the airstream. I decided to get the highest amp hour output that I could for the money so I went with 3 Walmart 29 series batteries that are 125 a.h. each. The 29 series battery is slightly larger then a 27 but I found that due to the design of the walmart battery they will fit in most boxes that a 27 series will fit in. We boondock and dry camp a lot and even with 4 of us going for a week at a time I've never ran into a problem of running out of power, of course we do conserve. I leave the batteries hooked up in the airstream all winter with the temp control charger on them and it seems to do it's job very well. In the spring I've had to add very little water to the batteries, less then a cup each and they stay at full charge without overcharging. Winters are harsh where I live at 9200' so the charger is really kicking out the juice to keep up at that time, and much less so at other times, but it would be just as cold in my garage. I just checked the batteries yesterday as we're planning a trip soon and they still check out like new. It looks like I'll at least get one more year out of these and may get more then that. If I can get 3 years or more out of these batteries that give 375 a.h. total with a combined cost of $195, I'd have to spend approx. 5 times as much with lifelines to get the same a.h. and they'd take up more space. I'd also have to spend 5 times as much with the optimas which would require a great deal more space then that to have 375 a.h. I don't think they'd last 5 times as long.
Charlie
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Marietta , 30064
I think this "even though the optima's are half the money...they're also half the amp-hour capacity" may answer my latest question: I picked up a blue top at Costco and it has been hooked up with the trailer plugged into 120v AC for like three days now, but my trailer panel battery charge indicator reads only "fair." That's as good as one blue top Optima will get, isn't it?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We installed Optima blue tops. Not as much "bottom" as we had hoped. Thinking about putting them in the truck and getting batteries with more staying power.

Maybe we're not satisified because most of our camping is boondocking in the desert. Fortunately we have a solar panel as the batteries will darn near drain out running the furnace overnight.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd37 View Post
I think this "even though the optima's are half the money...they're also half the amp-hour capacity" may answer my latest question: I picked up a blue top at Costco and it has been hooked up with the trailer plugged into 120v AC for like three days now, but my trailer panel battery charge indicator reads only "fair." That's as good as one blue top Optima will get, isn't it?
It sounds like you have a problem with you charging system or the battery is defective. A fully charged battery should read good or better. It's time to get the volt meter out and find out what is happening.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Marietta , 30064
Thanks Richard. I know what I'll do.. I have an emergency car batter charger / start thing that runs on 120v. I'll hook the battery to that for a while and then put it back in the trailer and see how it reads. In keeping with everything else, my trailer charging system probably doesn't work. blehhh
Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd37 View Post
... it has been hooked up with the trailer plugged into 120v AC for like three days now, but my trailer panel battery charge indicator reads only "fair."
I think it is time to check a couple of things - first, if you don't have an electric "multimeter", it's time to purchase one. Check the actual voltage at the battery, both with the charger "on", then with it "off". The "normal" output from the Univolt should not be over about 13.6 volts, though "better" chargers may put out over 15 volts for short periods while "equalizing".

Just from the little you have told us in this thread it may be time for you to consider a replacement for the Univolt.

Check for unusual drainage (again, a good multimeter will have a amperage measurement function) to make sure that unknown parasitic loads are not draining your system.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote