Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Replacement for my Univolt

I need to replace my univolt. Overcharging.

I am leaning toward the Intellipower PD9245C.

Would appreciate any comments whether this unit is reliable & trouble free. I value this more than the initial price.

I am just an American fed up with the manuf quality of everything.

Is there a unit that is better than the above mentioned unit.

Need to change it before I go out for the summer.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Wingfoot,

We have a resident converter expert on the Forum.....68 Overlander. Randy at Best RV Supply is a Forum member and posts on electrical topics from time-to-time. He's also a real honest guy and will give you great advice!

PM him or check out his web site: www.bestconverter.com

Tell him I sent you .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I installed a PD9180 (with charge wizard). It failed in less than two years. I support Lew's advice, talk to Randy.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321
I need to replace my univolt. Overcharging.

I am leaning toward the Intellipower PD9245C.
I replaced my univolt about 5 weeks ago with the Intellipower PD9260. I was constantly adding water to my batteries with the univolt. No problems so far with the PD9260. $229 plus shipping on the internet.
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
My Intellipower also ended the problem with boiling batteries. But when it failed during a stay in a campground where we were experiencing 15 degree overnight temps it was, to say the least, inconvenient.

I have since heard of other reliability issues with the PD converters. I replaced mine with a WFCO but have not had it long enough to say anything about reliability. It doesn't boil batteries either.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 05-13-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
First thing I did when I got my CCD was to remove the Parallax unit and add a WFCO 55 amp converter. Has worked flawlessly since.

I've heard good things about the new Parallax TempAssure 4400 with temperature compensation. Randy thinks they're great also.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
This thread is currently running at rv.net in Tech issues.

My 3 month old WFCO converter died.
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Lots of variables here. The main thing is that newer switching power supplies are both lighter and smarter than the old castiron Univolts. I replaced a tired and out of range Univolt with a WFCO (clever, these Chinese). Go with a higher capacity, rather than a lower, unit. I cannot concieve of why anyone would opt for a univolt, unless they just like to engage in constant vigilance battery maintenance.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob30044
This thread is currently running at rv.net in Tech issues.

My 3 month old WFCO converter died.
Interesting thread. My bad PD converter was the second one I had to replace. The first one died within hours of installation. I wasn't that concerned since I know what a component failure curve looks like (lots of early deaths). But I really didn't like the failure of a unit which had been in service for a good long while (but not long enough to be worn out).

I hope my WFCO does better but your message and the thread you pointed to is the first time I've heard complaints about WFCO.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
There is a chance your converter will fail in the first 2 years you own it. That chance is less than one half of one percent. They sometimes just fail.
Last summer/fall we had a horrible run of Inteli-power coming back for various reasons but it passed and they are just another converter now with about the same failure rate as all the others we carry. I'm gaining more confidence with the 9200 but still holding my breath. Not on how they work, but how long they will work since there is already a lot of remans out there and the product is still new but don't be afraid of them, that is my job.
Before that we had a few WFCOs act up. Mostly before the latest version but even some of the new ones will and do quit but don't be afraid of them, that is my job.
I posted a couple of months ago that we had never had a Parallax fail. I can't say that any longer because in the last month we got our first 7400 series returned but admittedly, the 7400s don't move nearly as fast because most are not multi-stage. We've got a few hundred Paramodes out there now and one has already failed. Should we be concerned? Not at all, it's just going to happen. Most concerning to you is what to expect if one does fail. Yep, I shipped him a new one no questions asked. Guess what will happen if that one fails too? Another one out the door. On the third try I might start asking just what are you using these things for anyway but don't be afraid of them, that is my job.
My point fellas is that none of them really fail at a higher rate but sometimes it looks that way. A good example is the Magnetek. There were well over a million produced in the last twenty years under several names, Phillips, BW Manufacturing, Magnetek and now Parallax. If you search, you will find most people bash them because the earlier models don't charge very well and they are nearing the end of their service life and failing. Technology changes and now they make one of the best converters available. Actually they always did but it's difficult to compare todays technology and expectations to a product from yesterday if that makes sense. It was what it was. The same holds true for the various companies that made the Univolt.
Now WFCO has the vast share of the market, probably 70% and over 700,000 units in service in the last few years. That means 3500 or so could fail in the first two years and more in the following years. It really stinks when one fails a month out of warranty but we don't leave you hung out to dry if we sold it so don't be afraid of them, ....
When I make a recommendation on a particular unit, I'm really making an endorcment that you will see good service from the product, or at least I think you will.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Hey! I thought we lived in a perfect world. What gives?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
randy

has anyone come up with a way to control an otherwise fine magnatek unit other than putting it on a timer?

john
Old 05-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Seven months to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
There is a chance your converter will fail in the first 2 years you own it. That chance is less than one half of one percent. They sometimes just fail...
I have almost a year and and a half on my WFCO converter, and I have yet to need to add water to the battery.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Boy Excella if only it were true.

John, the only controller I'm aware of for the Magnetek is about $200! I hear ya though, somebody would have a nice invention.

Tom, that's great but I would not expect that kind of success. I alway tell people to check their water on the same schedule you would have only difference is the frequency you have to actually do something after you check it. Good for you!
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
I installed the Parallax 4455 with temp control which I bought from Randy about a month ago. I was leaning toward the intelicharger at first, but it seems that the temp control will do a better job of adjusting the power to the batteries. I upgraded to 3 29 series batteries using the advise I found here, and the charger has done a good job so far.
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
There is a chance your converter will fail in the first 2 years you own it. That chance is less than one half of one percent. They sometimes just fail....
Randy,
You are certainly correct, but ... depending on how you use your rig, having a converter fail can be very serious. No converter, your battery discharges and you have no 12V power and no way to charge batteries. No lights, no furnace, no water pressure. Ruins your day if you are on a weekend camping trip. A bit more serious if you are a long ways from home or boondocking in a remote location and relying on a generator to recharge your batteries.

I speak from experience. 15 degree temps and no furnace is not fun.

I'd suggest always carrying a spare converter or at least a battery charger