Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
There is a chance your converter will fail in the first 2 years you own it. That chance is less than one half of one percent. They sometimes just fail....
You are certainly correct, but ... depending on how you use your rig, having a converter fail can be very serious. No converter, your battery discharges and you have no 12V
power and no way to charge batteries. No lights, no furnace, no water pressure. Ruins your day if you are on a weekend camping trip. A bit more serious if you are a long ways from home or boondocking in a remote location and relying on a generator to recharge your batteries.
I speak from experience. 15 degree temps and no furnace is not fun.
I'd suggest always carrying a spare converter or at least a battery charger