Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modesto , California
Replacement batteries

We have a 1979 Excella Motorhome and need to buy replacement batteries as we are having problems with the battery going dead. My husband had to jumpstart the engine yesterday. We have added electric/ heated mirrors, new Alpine Apple play stereo, an alarm system that comes with an auto start for the engine. We will be adding wireless backup camera next week. Any suggestions on what we need to buy? We want to replace all the batteries. One RV dealer told me to make sure I bought deep cycle batteries. I'm not sure if he means both batteries. We have two batteries one located in a compartment next to the drivers seat and one in the storage compartment below. Also my husband was wondering if adding a second battery to the storage compartment below will be advantageous.
Elskedeen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
My father highly recommends lead acid batteries built by Johnson Controls. As a matter of fact, the upper line at Walmart Called Everstart Maxx. Make sure about the Maxx part. I have two of their group 24 Max for my Airstream trailer and one of them for my truck. The Deep Cycle 24 have a two year full replacement warranty and the Max for the truck is full replacement for 3 years, then 2 years prorated for 5yrs total. They cost about $100 each. That is hard to beat and they have been good for him putting them in emergency generator cabinets all over. He has seen better performance with them than some big names I will leave out. Handy Bob solar has some excellent write-ups on the so-called super batteries as he compares, lithium, AGM, maintenance-free sealed, etc. In the end he also recommends lead acid for the type. (he likes 6v for solar but lead acid)
Old 06-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes Wal Mart is a good place to buy batteries. Not that they are the best batteries bu that you can get them replaced ANYWHERE without a fight.

The remote starter will be drawing current ALL the time and if the rig is stored for any length of time, several weeks. You will have a dead battery. You might want to consider powering the remote from the coach battery and putting a small solar unit on the coach just to keep up with that draw.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modesto , California
Rodsterinfl, Thank you I will have me husband go to Walmart and see if they carry them or see if they can order them for us.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Modesto , California
HowieE,
Thank you, what kind of solar unit would you recommend? Would a battery tender work?
Old 06-09-2015, 02:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
The two Trojan SCS150 replacement batteries that I bought this past weekend just barely fit in the battery box as to height. I mean just barely. I am concerned about arcing from the lead posts to the cover of the metal box. I could gain a little height - perhaps a millimeter - by cutting out the bottoms of the wells of the plastic tray in which the batteries sit. Good idea? I would prefer that electrical insulation of the plastic tray to remain, however. Is that plastic insulation between the batteries and the bottom of the metal box significant?

The main cables have rubber sleeves over the lead connectors, so there won't be direct contact with the metal lid, but it appears that the rubber sleeves will be squeezed between the battery posts and the metal lid. This seems to encourage eventual arcing through the rubber sleeve of the positive post to the negative lid. If all this just barely fits but I can latch the metal box lid closed, is that good enough? (The "perfect" fit?)

I wish the metal box was a few millimeters taller or the batteries were a few millimeters shorter. Should I return these new batteries and get another brand that are, in fact, at least a few millimeters shorter?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Be careful about modifying the battery compartments. they are supposed to be sealed to keep hydrogen out of the cabin....highly explosive. If as you say the tray is just something the battery sits on inside the metal battery box, maybe you can do as you say!

Better to get some heavy plastic sheet and keep it between the battery tops and the steel roof of the compartment. Just need something to separate the posts from the steel when putting batteries in and out, or from contact if the battery "jumps:" in transit. Could also just cut a small plastic cup to cover the Positive Post.
I'm in the market for new batteries...I will be checking out Johnson Controls batteries. I've always been an AC Delco guy

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Pinson , Alabama
I too own a '79 Excella Motorhome, just purchased. I will be replacing batteries as well. I was just reading at the Optima battery web site about their batteries. I clicked on the Blue Top Marine battery and began reading. It said and I quote "works well as an RV battery with creature comforts that tend to draw batteries quickly". So I'm thinking this is the battery. I then click on the specifications tab and find this comment and I quote "Blue Top Model 34M: These batteries are designed for engine starting applications. They arenot recommended or warranted for use in deep cycle application".

Let me highlight the word NOT in the warranty

You'd think marine battery mean't deep cycle.
RosiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I just went through this whole decision thing. I like AC Delco but the local dealer here doesn't seem to actually understand Deep Cycle NOT Marine Deep Cycle, so I'm not comfortable with reps who don't know their business. I went with a NAPA RV Deep Cycle because the service guy at the dealer uses the same battery for his Trolling Motors and claims he kills two of them several times a month on every trip. They are still going strong after three years. These batteries are made by East Penn.

Starlord is absolutely right. Marine deep cycle service is not RV deep cycle service. The battery plates on a deep cycle battery are thick and designed to deliver steady amps over time . The plates on a car battery are thin so they can deliver high amps quickly and then be recharged quickly by the alternator. Marine Batteries are a compromise. Plate thickness is in-between to give enough starting amps and still be able to run accessories and entertainment systems. Too bad the people selling at the big box stores are not trained to see this.

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote