Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1966 26' Overlander
Lowell , Indiana
replaced univolt - keeping new battery good

I completed the replacement of my 1966 overlander's univolt with the IP 92000 and at first it seemed to be trying to charge the battery and the 92000 seemed to be getting hot but the fan was not running. I disconnected the battery as suggested (the battery was probably 3 years old) which was not charged prior to the install of the 92000 and everything seemed fine. I replaced the battery with a new one.
My question is how to best manage things from here on out. I will be camping for several months yet, probably several long weekends close to home. Between outings should I keep the trailer plugged into my garage's 110 outlet so the 92000 can mind the battery or is it better to just disconnect the battery? Also at the end of the season when putting it down for the winter should I take the battery out and put in a warmer, dryer place like the basement for the winter?

jpancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Hi, I see that IP has a 9200 series of converter/chargers, and I'm assuming that is what you have...

I also see that it has a variable speed van that only operates at a speed necessary to cool it's components...and from their notes, very probably won't hear it unless you're running a big load.

As to battery maintence...batteries want to be stored at full charge to remain useful for the greatest number of years...if you unhook your battery for several months, it will discharge to some degree, and you'll have to fully charge it before the next use...a partially discharged battery will begin to form sulfate crystals on the plates, and the longer it remains in that condition, the more attached the sulfate becomes, and won't be absorbed back into the acid solution when charged.

I keep my batteries hooked to their circuits, and keep the RV hooked to shore power whenever possible....this would be especially true of units stored in freezing climates - a charged battery generally won't freeze internally...we don't have that problem here in Calif where live, but I still keep our AS plugged into power.

Your new Converter/charger is designed to keep your battery system in tip top shape without overcharging...keep it plugged in if you can and it's ready to use at a moments notice!

Check your battery for corrosion on the terminals when you store it and when putting back into service...I like to smear some heavy grease on the terminals to keep the oxygen away and prevent corrosion...petroleum jelly even works. If you do get some corrosion, undo the parts, clean with a wire brush to get rid of the gunk...wash with a baking soda and water solution to clean any remaining acid gunk...reattach the parts, and when dry apply the grease, making sure to coat the undersides of the connections as well.

Hope that helps...Ray

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Indiana gets the artic blasts of cold - but a fully charged battery will not freeze until much lower than we in the mid-west should see (hopefully) so allowing battery to overwinter outside is desirable, the cooler you keep it the longer it lasts, period.

With powerful 9200 converter a daily maintenance on the battery is accomplished rapidly so installing a timer between house power and converter for a couple of hours out of each 24-hour period will have battery ready for you next time - just remember it is there so you don't flatten the battery

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote