Old 09-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Recharging battery with Parallax converter/charger

Went to pick up Thumper for first fall trip and when i went to put the jack down, no power. used 7 pin to power jack... so no problem there

according to my documentation the Parallax 7300 series will charge batteries when hooked to shore power... so i have the AS out front, hooked up to shore power.

when i do status of battery i am getting flashing red light.... again micropulse documentation leaves a little to be desired... is flashing charging?

also my battery disconnect switch next to the door should it be on use or store when i have it on shore power and charging?

the batteries are just a year old, so hopefully i just forgot to set the switch to store when i last checked the trailer a couple weeks ago.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I searched threads but didn't find these specifics.... Thanks all in advance.

its finally cool enough to go camping... highs of 84 lows of 59 next three days here in Dallas.......

Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Anybody?

Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My guess would be that the battery won't charge if you have the main switch to "store" but I'm not really sure.

I guess the easiest way to find out would be to put a meter across the battery terminals and check voltage with the switch in both positions.

Mine seems to run at about 13.8 volts when on the charger.

Could also be the charger section of your Parallax is not working? Again a few checks with an inexpensive multimeter should tell the story.

Incidentally from what I have read, the Parallax is not as sophisticated as some of the chargers people are now using.

Mine is also a Parallax. I am not really sure if my concern is valid or not, but I installed some simple to use quick disconnect knobs on the battery terminals and whenever we are camped on shore power for more than a couple of days, I disconnect the batteries to avoid any possibility of damage due to over charging. I reconnect when we are ready to move on.

Hope you find the problem.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Goal15,

To charge, switch must be in the on position.

Our P-Lax ruined the batts while plugged in 24/7 on the dealer lot.
I didn't realize the cause at the time and the same thing happened again while sitting on our pad. Pro-rated the Interstates again and never left in on for more than 12hrs, 3 years later changed it out when I up-graded the batteries.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the responses.

is is just me or does it seem like the battery use/store switch ought to be a regular on off type switch as opposed to the rocker switch that is installed? seems kinda iffy for the role that it plays

Bob what did you replace the Plax with? I moved it to the on position before i left the house this morning, so if the batteries are going to charge at all hopefully there will be some progress by the time i get home at 3
Old 09-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

is is just me or does it seem like the battery use/store switch ought to be a regular on off type switch as opposed to the rocker switch that is installed? seems kinda iffy for the role that it plays

Bob what did you replace the Plax with? I moved it to the on position before i left the house this morning, so if the batteries are going to charge at all hopefully there will be some progress by the time i get home at 3
Goal15,

IOTA DLS IQ4 55a....

Great up-grade and a very easy install on our Classic..

Both Randy at Best Converter and Jay at IOTA Tech service have been very helpful.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07654.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	141302   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07645.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	376.0 KB
ID:	141303  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Bob:

Thanks for the link and the info. Looks like that will be one of our winter purchases.

DW decided yesterday as i was messing with our CIPA mirrors that we should go ahead and spring for some factory Toyota tow mirrors.... so add that to the list as well.

Dana
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
dana, i seem to recall that if the batteries are stone dead the relay may not flip to "use/on mode" and charge the batteries. since you were connected to the umbilical, it might not have been an issue. if someone knows for sure, please chime in.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question Use/Store Switch Won't Turn Off

I have recently replaced the house battery in my 2006 Interstate Van with an expensive AGM. After reading here about the OEM charger ruining batteries, I'm very concerned. I normally keep my van alongside my house and plugged in to shore power.

If I disconnect the AC line, my battery will run down quickly as I can't turn it off with the Use/Store switch. When I try to turn it off, the red pilot light remains lit and all the 12-volt lights and appliances continue to work.

If my husband were still alive, I'm sure he would know just what to do. However, I'm at a loss. Please advise.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Voyager I'd look into putting in a master disconnect which completely removes loads from batteries. Perhaps some one here can point you in the direction of a capable person to install the switch.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I thought the Use/Store switch WAS a master disconnect switch. I know when I used to be able to turn it off, nothing 12-volt would work!