Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
R&R univolt in my 1972 overlander, please help ??

I need to remove the univolt (Blue Box ) in my1972 overlander , it's behind the bath tub in a tight spot , can some one tell me how to get the old one out , how many screws and where they are at ? Has someone here have past experience with removing a univolt behind the bath tub like mine ?
Please chime in folks I need help with this one . 🙈🙉🙊
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There are generally 4 screws, one in each corner of the sled rails that the Univolt is built on. It tough locations they may or may not all be there, but generally the things were put down and then the bathroom was built over them.

I know this may sound crude, but since the beast is basically useless anyway, a pry bar slipped under it and forcing it up to pull the screws out of the floor may be the best way to remove it. My experience is that the original screws were not very big to begin with, and if they are impossible to get at, they will pull out doing very little damage to the floor. Or, you could just leave it in place and put a new unit in in a handy location, removing the wires from the old one.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Yes it needs to come out because I can't reach the wires to rewire it in its present location
Just to reach in a pull out the old round type glass fuses is a big chore !
Old 10-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had one like that in my '74 Argosy, tucked back in a corner, accessible only through a small opening under the lower shelf in a bathroom closet. Mine had already worked itself loose and in fact was jumping up and down on the wires, causing shorts. I used the pry bar technique above to take the last screws out and pulled it far enough into the closet to remove the wires, then all the way out to the dumpster. I mounted the new one on the back closet wall, along with a new fuse panel. It was a good improvement.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
THere may be only one screw holding the univolt in place. The other two screws may be in slots, (not holes) to allow you to take one screw out and slide the univolt out.
The original Univolt was installed that way in both my '76 25' and my '76 31'
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
THere may be only one screw holding the univolt in place. The other two screws may be in slots, (not holes) to allow you to take one screw out and slide the univolt out.
The original Univolt was installed that way in both my '76 25' and my '76 31'
Where is the one screw at ? In the front or on a side , more info please