Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
COLUMBIA , Missouri
question about not installing new fuse board with PD 4655 converter...

rrroberts40 made a comment about not replacing fuse board with the board that came with the PD4655. He said he called Randy and posted this ..."I called Progressive Dynamics and asked them if I could use the original fuse board...yes it will work just fine and all 4 charging stages work the same all you lose is the led notification light and the ability to quick charge the batteries.... Am I reading that right that if you don't replace the board, you will not be able to charge the batteries as quickly?
Opn Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
What they should have said is you lose the the ability to 'manually' override the PD4655 and force it in to 'boost' charge mode.

The new board has a button and indicator light on it that allows you to override the unit and force it in to 'boost' charge mode (14.x+ volts). It also has a place to plug in the remote pendant (optional) that gives you the same capability, but with it mounted outside the cover so you can press the button without opening the cover.

The unit will otherwise automatically select what mode to be in (Boost, Normal or Float--and occassional defulsation mode if plugged in long enough) but it sometimes takes awhile for it to evaluate which mode is needed. The manual control is nice when, for example, batteries are low and you are running a generator to recharge and the generator won't be running a long time. You can manually select 'boost' charge to get the process happening faster. (It will automatically switch out of bulk mode when it needs to).

For what it's worth, I always change the board so that I have the full functionality. First time, I used the remote; second time, didn't bother (don't want yet another light blinking away at night), so I just open the cover and use the button on the board to force in to 'boost' mode if desired. If you do change the board, note that it's best to move the 12v connections and fuses over 2 spots to the right. The first 2 spots on the new board are for 'low voltage' applications, whatever they mean by that. Easy to do.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
COLUMBIA , Missouri
Thank you. That clears it up a lot.
Opn Rd is offline   Reply With Quote