Old 04-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
6 volt batteries on a 16-foot Bambi

After my first summer with my 2005 Bambi, I had service guys at the dealership install a second battery box for an additional 24 Group battery on the tongue. They just re-positioned the original box to make room on the platform. From there, I upgraded to 27 Group batteries. The bigger batteries fit in the boxes, although they were taller, so the lids didn't fit perfectly. Same is now true for the 6 volt batteries. I use a cinch strap to keep the lids from flying off. Nothing special about my boxes. They're just plastic and the same size as what came with the trailer when I bought it new in 2004.

Having a box made is a good idea if there's a way to lock it. I recently had mine stolen off of the trailer, along with the propane tanks.

jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Here's an opportunity!

Lew etal -

Here's an opportunity. Could you write up a "how to convert to 6V batteries" tutorial?? I am a complete 'DUH' when it comes to batteries and the like. I CAN follow directions very well. Since my batteries are likely coming to the end of their useful life, such a tutorial would be of terrific benefit. Of particular interest would be items like changes in the wiring (like the jack), charging changes, and things of that ilk.

Show me what I need to do, and the ASF support $'s are worth every penny!

BTW, my Classic does NOT have the tongue jack, but has the integrated stabilizer system - would this need alternate wiring from the TJ as mentioned in previous post? Or does the AS wiring (the jacks are OEM) do whatever change for me? Is a 12 to 6V change even feasable for me and SilverToy? Told you I was a dolt with this stuff...

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Check out this web site. There are actually two parts, you may have to scroll down a ways to find the battery section. I have found it to be very helpful in explaining various rv electrical issues. He covers the dual 6 volt system, and provides a nice diagram on the proper way to set it up.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Part one provides a link to part 2.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
You asked for it!

Here is a nice diagram (not mine, thanks Dave!) of a 12 VDC parallel set-up (left side) and a 6VDC series set-up (right side). Notice that in the left drawing, the positive terminals are connected together and the negative terminals are also. The one place where I disagree with this drawing is for the output connections. I would have the ground output coming from the lower negative lug, not the upper one. This assures that you are getting full voltage from both batteries.

The 6Volt diagram shows a series connection, or joining the positive terminal of the bottom battery with the negative of the top battery. This is where the 12 VDC comes from when you use 2 - 6 volt batteries. Also of great importance is the connections for the voltage output. You take the negative to ground from the bottom battery and the positive to the fuse panel from the top battery.

You should also use these terminals (I'll call them the 'outside' terminals) for any direct 12VDC link like a jack or break-a-way switch. Any battery charging with a 12VDC charger should also be done from these outside terminals.

Just think of these 2 batteries as one big battery with an internal connection and a positive and negative post.

Hope this helps!
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #19
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Originally Posted by lewster

I would run a dedicated line to the positive terminal of one battery and the negative terminal of the other, with a heavy cable of at least 2AWG running between the other +and - posts. This will give you 12 volts DC from a series connection of the 2 batteries. You must use the opposing + and - terminals to facilitate any 12VDC draw from the batteries.
Thanks the for the tip, Lew. I'll definitely review your diagrams should I want to rewire my battery setup. This is a picture of the factory setup on my 2007 Safari, btw.

Now, ask me if I'm going to rearrange the rats-nest-tangled-wire-mess just inside the trailer from the batteries! (yes!)

2007 20' Safari SE/LS // 12063 //CA-5// ("ex") 2916
5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
I forgot to mention, my 25' Safari has a metal battery box (with flop up lid)just behind the gas bottles.

The 6v batteries are 1.5" taller than the Group 24 batteries that came with the trailer. Because of space limitations I could not raise the battery lid so I took the trailer to a metal shop and had them LOWER the bottom of the box by 1.5". There is still plenty of ground clearance below the bottom of the battery box. Works fine.

Neil Ervin, Sequim, Washington (on the north edge of the beautiful Olympic Peninsula)
neil.ervin is offline   Reply With Quote