Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Q's on converting Parallax 7355 to Iota DLS-55 on 2010 Bambi

It appears I have a Parallax 7355 converter in my 16' International CCD. Since I can't find any indication of the "T" model on the unit, I assume it's the one-stage charger, which can overcharge my battery (which might explain why my two-year-old battery isn't holding a charge), and if I pop the inspection covers I can see no liquid).

I'm considering switching to an Iota DLS-55 with IQ4 option. My question is, and forgive me if the answers are already out there, how "plug and play" is the conversion? Specifically, will the DLS-55 have a similar number of inputs and outputs or will I have to do some some magic to adapt it to my trailer?

Another option is to just leave my current charger in place and be more careful about disconnecting it after x hours but this seems prone to error.

Lastly, if I'm on shore power, should I turn the "battery disconnect" switch the "OFF" position once the battery has charged?

Seems like an awful lot to manage manually... I'm inclined to go for the three-stage Iota just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
100% plug and play. The exact switch I did.

If you switch off while on shore power, you won't have any 12 Volt lighting, fridge operation, etc. (at least if yours is like mine)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's my swap. I did install a couple of extras which you are not apparently considering, so just ignore those parts.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...ade-70932.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
There sure are a lot of similar posts on batteries and converters. Just my opinion, but we had the same overcharging problem, which boiled our OEM batteries dry and ruined them in the first year. There is nothing wrong with the converter; one just needs to not leave the batteries charging 24/7. We installed a marine battery isolator switch, so we can completely disconnect the batteries while leaving shore power connected. This does two things: It allows you to control when and how long the batteries are being charged, and it prevents parasitic loads from discharging your batteries while in storage. And, you still have power in the trailer, provided by the converter.

We use the switch to charge one battery at a time, overnight, once a month. That way they don't get overcharged, but stay topped off for our next road trip. When the switch is turned OFF, the batteries are completely disconnected; and we have left them in storage for up to six months (without recharging), and they maintained a full charge. I think our Optimas are supposed to hold a charge for a year or more, and I am sure they would last that long if turned OFF with the isolator switch.

A converter costs a lot more than a $35-40 isolator switch, and the switch is a lot easier to install. Also, you'll be replacing a perfectly good converter, which seems like a waste of money. Again, just my opinion.

In any case, let me know if you'd like details on the switch.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I would like information on the marine switch you used. Thanks,
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Jupitorj, I responded by personal message (PM). However, links below contain overview of switch:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ml#post1031945

http://www.amazon.com/Perko-8501DP-M...solator+Switch

Note: Link to Amazon.com is for reference only. Other similar switches may work as well or better, and other sources may have lower prices. However, this is the switch I have; and I think I got it at a local West Marine store (and paid a little more).