Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Power with no battery

I am in the process of putting my 65 back together and have all 110 and 12v wiring run and panels installed.In need to install all lights and outlets,plus a Maranco in the shell.I have a Progressive Dynamics 4045 convertor.It is so hot here I am only able to work an hour a day.
Can I install the Marenco 30A inlet,run my AC to the 4045 convertor,bypass the other wiring and have power to the AC without the battery inline?

bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
No, But you can wire the air cond to your main panel (12wire), install the marenco, then run a (10GA) line from it to your main panel,your air cond should have its own breaker. Thats it; just make sure you dont have power running anywhere else,and the system is properly grounded. The converter is not connected in any way to the air cond. If in doubt get a pro sometimes you only get one chance to make a mistake when working w/ electricity.

kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
The PD 4000 series, including the 4045, are combo units that contain a converter and main AC (Alternating Current) breaker system. Leads to confusion in posts.

So yes, you could run your AC (Alternating Current) to the breaker box portion to power your AC (Air Conditioner). Did I mention confusion in posts?

I, personally, would prefer to have a battery in the 12 volt DC system when the converter is powered and running. I don't know how the converter portion is powered in the combo units or if you can switch them off while there is AC (Alternating Current) to the unit.

I'm not necessarily a fan of combo units. I know my Inteli-Power is disconnected when it is unplugged. The main reason I like separate units is that when one thing breaks, it only affects on thing, not two (or more).

Good luck. It's way to hot to be trying to work inside your trailer without air conditioning.
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Steve, Vaughan is correct,I didnt know you had an a/c distribution panel attached to your converter. I hope there is a way of isolating the converter!!

kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Look inside your converter and distribution panel. If it's already all wired together, the converter should have it's own breaker. If its a brand new unit, probably nothing is connected yet, including the converter. If you can post a picture of the circuit breakers inside your distribution panel we can give you better advice.

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine

I have the same unit and its a ac/dc converter and if it isnt wired and new. then the circuit breaker for the 12vdc isnt yet connected to its breaker.
Pop in the 30 amp main, next to it I put the 15 amp breaker for the power lead to the univolt portion then the other 20 amp breakers next which was Air conditioner. then all other circuits last.
When powering on, just besure the univolt breaker is off or lock tag it out so it cant be turned on. Good to go.

Viper2 is offline   Reply With Quote