Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
grover beach , California
Power surge

My wife and I were camping at Lake Cachuma last 4th of July. The temperature was 110 degrees so we left early to go to Santa Barbra for the day. A large fire engnited across the street from the camp ground and we were unable to get back to the camp ground to get my baby a 1976 25 foot tradewind land yacht, we affectionately call Alma.

I was so concerned that the fire would engulf my baby! We were unable to go and get our trailer for five days. During the time of the fire the power grid failed several times and I believe we had a surge the destroyed my inverter an intel a power 9200 with charge wizard.

I have had nothing but trouble with batteries dying and mysterious power failure on the water pump, 8 track tape player and the power jack. I finally broke down and bought a multi meter and have been trying to find the shorts. I in way over my head.
larry smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Had any help yet?

How long have you owned Alma? How old were batteries? Was anything on, fridge, AC, etc? Was the failure in an inverter or converter?

If you had any drain on batteries, any 12vdc device, the battery cells likely have run so low it is permanently reduced in capacity... no charge device can repair.

If you disconnect the negative wire on the batteries, try running off the converter only, how does that do?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote