Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
North Lauderdale , Florida
Possible Inverter Issue

2018 Sport 22 FB - plugged into 30amp shore power with the battery switch in the ON position. Had been like that for over 24 hours. Came back to camp and found obvious battery overcharging (smelled like rotten eggs). I turned the switch off and all was fine. Later the next afternoon I turned the switch back on and walked over to the battery and heard a sizzling sound. I immediately turned it off. I've since taken the battery to get tested and charged properly at the battery maker (Interstate).

OK. The question: Did I screw up the inverter? Is there a way to check?

I haven't yet discounted an issue with the battery itself. I am just trying to get some info up front if in fact the battery is fine and there is something wrong somewhere else.
Lag323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'm pretty sure you don't have an inverter problem, because your Sport is not equipped with one.

You might have a CONVERTER issue, or simply a bad battery.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Unplug from shore power and, using gloves and safety goggles, check battery water and specific gravity of cells with hydrometer. After an hour what is your battery voltage on the monitor?

Read owner’s manual on battery care, which may be in multiple locations.

You probably have a bad battery or two, so best not to plug into shore power until resolved.

Keep us advised. You might also want to call your dealer for advice, plus the Airstream 800 number in your paperwork.

Good luck,

Peter

PS — Good source for general RV battery info:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm

Taking the battery (ies) to a dealer might also be in order, to have them tested. They might still be under warranty.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Please give us some background history on your Airstream and the battery (ies).

Bought it new . . . used it for __? months with no problems . . . etc. etc..

There is a remote chance that your converter/charger has gone bad.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
@overlander63 :0 Thanks. I knew it wasn't the flux capacitor.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
@otra15

Bought new in December 2017. I have over 30 nights of use with no issue. Always on shore power. I haven't been very diligent about keeping the battery charged and it has completely drained several times.

I dropped the battery off at the manufacturer and they are doing a slow charge and complete check of the battery. I'll have the results in a week.

I'll wait to see what they come back with before I look deeper into converter/charger.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lag323 View Post
. . .
. . . I haven't been very diligent about keeping the battery charged and it has completely drained several times.
. . .
Thanks for the reply. I would bite bullet and buy a new battery if you want peace of mind for the 2019 camping season. 3+ complete discharges have probably diminished the utility of the battery IMO.

Does your trailer only have one battery? If "two" then buy two new ones together at the same time, of the identical model and brand, from one store.

Happy trails,

Peter
Old 04-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
@otra15

Bought new in December 2017. I have over 30 nights of use with no issue. Always on shore power. I haven't been very diligent about keeping the battery charged and it has completely drained several times.

I dropped the battery off at the manufacturer and they are doing a slow charge and complete check of the battery. I'll have the results in a week.

I'll wait to see what they come back with before I look deeper into converter/charger.
Sounds like your converter may be bad, and your batteries also if they were completely drained...not good for 12v battery. Note that the Interstate 12V that come with most all the AS's, may also have been bad from the beginning due to Interstate issues or the dealer not maintaining properly...many of us have had ours go out within a short time after taking delivery, even though they were doing fine when we first got our AS's.. Happened to me 2 times on new AS's.

I would call/talk to your local Interstate dealer about the issue and likely they will want to charge/check them out. They are usually pretty good about replacment for free if within the warranty period which starts when you pick up your coach. They may also offer credit toward one of their other models, like AGM, 6V Golf Cart, or perhaps a Lithium, if your interested. Let us know how you end up.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Wondering if you have any updates from the battery shop?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Chances are about 99 % that the battery(s) are shot. The other 1% would be a converter going out in high voltage mode. That's unusual for the stock converter. Two weeks to check a battery is nonsense. Head back over and have them honor the warranty.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
That damn battery

It was the battery. The folks at interstate had it on their charging system and it would not hold a charge. Installed a fully charged new one today. Let’s see how it goes.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Flooded cell deep discharge batteries are often only warranted for a year. I tend to change mine every 2 years. They are fairly cheap and I sometimes draw them down too far. I like having fairly fresh ones. And keeping water in them is critical. So I think it "was time" for your battery change. Trying to decide whether to switch to AGMs this time or go with the flooded cell again.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
It was the battery. The folks at interstate had it on their charging system and it would not hold a charge. Installed a fully charged new one today. Let’s see how it goes.
Thanks for the update. The Battery School source quoted in Post #3 [below] is worth a good read IMO. Their battery voltage guidelines are posted in our FC20, and we try never to let the voltage get below 12.2, and to charge fully ASAP whenever it gets lower.

Be sure to keep the battery water full, check the specific gravity, use gloves and safety goggles, and only distilled water to fill. If you have a standard old-fashioned converter/charger, please be advised that you cannot just leave the trailer plugged in, or you may ruin the batteries by overcharging them. More R&D to do . . .

Have a great camping season!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
PS — Good source for general RV battery info:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm
. . .
Old 04-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Flooded cell deep discharge batteries are often only warranted for a year. I tend to change mine every 2 years. They are fairly cheap and I sometimes draw them down too far. I like having fairly fresh ones. And keeping water in them is critical. So I think it "was time" for your battery change. Trying to decide whether to switch to AGMs this time or go with the flooded cell again.
I am not sure they go bad every 2 years, Bill. We have seen many years with proper care on the wet cell 12V. We also have had the "bad luck" with the newer Interstate models more recently with new AS's. (as have several folks we know, including here on the Forum!) We did switch to the Trojan wetcell 6V Golf Cart last July, and have not had any issues...I hope they go more than 2 years! They seem to be much better so far in holding charge then any 12V AGM or wet cells I have had over the past 18 years. We shall see...still envious of the Li batteries...if I hit the lotto, that is the way to go!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
2018 Sport 22 FB - plugged into 30amp shore power with the battery switch in the ON position. Had been like that for over 24 hours. Came back to camp and found obvious battery overcharging (smelled like rotten eggs). I turned the switch off and all was fine. Later the next afternoon I turned the switch back on and walked over to the battery and heard a sizzling sound. I immediately turned it off. I've since taken the battery to get tested and charged properly at the battery maker (Interstate).

OK. The question: Did I screw up the inverter? Is there a way to check?

I haven't yet discounted an issue with the battery itself. I am just trying to get some info up front if in fact the battery is fine and there is something wrong somewhere else.
.....batteries are shorted out...replace them...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
.....batteries are shorted out...replace them...
He did that already.

Quote: