Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Please help. Intellipower 4045

Hi all. I pretty much rewired my GT and purchased the Intellipower 4045 from Best Converter. I tested each run of my 12v as I was wiring to insure I had good connections. Hooked it all up using the pathetic directions that came with the converter and also from previous discussions with Randy. It looks great. And doesn't work. I talked to tech support at Progressive Dynamics and then Randy. Per Randy's suggestion I checked for power inside the 4045. Yes, there is power coming in. The copper coil thingys on the left are warm and when I switched off the toggle on the circuit breaker the fan made a few rotations. And because that wasn't a very scientific way to test for voltage I did so with a voltage meter & I'm getting a reading of 13 at each of the 12v fuses. Plus, I am getting DC at the circuit breakers. However, there is no voltage coming out of the back of the converter through either the 12v wires or 110 romex (feeding 3 outlets, only). Randy, if you're on this forum tonight, no I can't sleep on it. I am leaving town for a few days and then coming back and needing to be ready to tow to Vintage Rally in Albequerque next week. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance to all you AS gurus out there. -Judy
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Converters have internal protection; some call it "crowbaring"; if there is a short or overload the converter will shut down. I would disconnect the battery leads and the DC leads at the converter and check for voltage at the output of the converter. Leave the battery disconnected, remove all of the small fuses from the distribution panel. If you have voltage at the converter with it disconnected, then reconnect the 2 wires and check for voltage. Replace the fuses one at a time and check the output of the converter after each. If you have a short or overload in a circuit, the converter will shut down. this should give you a clue as to what the problem is.
I'm confused about your comment on the three AC outlets. Other than the 120 volts that power the converter, the converter has nothing to do with the AC outlets.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Thanks, Twinkie. I'll head right out and try those suggestions. Yes, I'll try anything. R.e. the AC outlets. My understanding from Randy & the Progressive directions: Because this is an all inclusive converter unit, with AC circuit breakers, as well as the DC fuses, all the wiring will go through this one converter - charger "box", with the 110 shore power cable coming in, as well as the romex cable going out to coach 110 outlets or Airconditioning (if one were to have one). PLease correct me if I'm missing anything.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
The only problem that I had with not getting juice when I hooked mine up was due to not grounding everything.
Not the best picture, but the grounds are:
- white wire from 12v dist. box grounded to shell.
- white wire from neg breaker in middle of pic grounded to shell
- (Can't see) white wire from left side of converter grounded to shell.

"I hadn't hooked up a ground from the Neg battery cable line to the shell."
post #26
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...l-74038-2.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 142.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	131398  
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Thanks, Daniel. I had seen that post as I was researching before my own thread. Nope... grounds appear ok. Really, converter has power from 110 shore cable. But, power is not going out through wires in back to 12v coach lines.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #6

1956 22' Caravanner
No. Hampton , New Hampshire
Like others, I'm having trouble wrapping my pea brain around the PD-4045 converter install manual. My questions:

1) Are the the #10awg black & white wires at top/back of unit the main battery leads? (#10AWG seems light for 45Amps and I don't know of a good way to connect it to the #2AWG leads I had planned to run to/from the battery).

2) Does the hot (black) 120v lead coming in to the PD4045 connect to the bottom terminal of the 30A breaker, with all other 120v loads going out, including the one supplying the converter, coming off the bottom terminals of the other 15A or 20A AC breakers?

3) Why are the 10AWG black DC leads #1 & #2 coming out of the back 10AWG, while the rest are only #14AWG? Are those intended for use with any higher Amp 12v circuits one might be using, or are they meant for some specific purpose?

Additionally, I am planning to install this unit, along with (2) trojan T 105 6v batt's (in series) in the rear of my 1956 Caravanner where the 120v shore power enters, however the only access for all of the existing the 12v circuits is in the front of the trailer. I plan to run new 12v lines from the PD4045 to the few new 12v items being installed, like frig & vent fan, but I'm wondering if theres a good way to tie-in a 12v lead back to the batteries for charging off the car alternator while driving? It seems that such a wire run would have to be huge, like #2AWG or better, so I'm wondering if using a small inverter in the front of the trailer front (like 600watt or so), then running 120v wiring back to supply the PD4045, with a switch for selecting between car alternator/inverter in, or shore power in, would make more sense?

Any Help will be MASSIVELY appreciated!
MexDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I'm confused about your comment on the three AC outlets. Other than the 120 volts that power the converter, the converter has nothing to do with the AC outlets.
I answered my own question, this is a combination Converter and AC distribution Panel.

1) Are the the #10awg black & white wires at top/back of unit the main battery leads? (#10AWG seems light for 45Amps and I don't know of a good way to connect it to the #2AWG leads I had planned to run to/from the battery).
How far away is your battery?
If I had to guess, I would say that they are the battery leads.
Terminal strips are available for this type of connection.

2) Does the hot (black) 120v lead coming in to the PD4045 connect to the bottom terminal of the 30A breaker, with all other 120v loads going out, including the one supplying the converter, coming off the bottom terminals of the other 15A or 20A AC breakers?
Since the unit did not come with breakers. It appears that you provide them. I would install the 30 amp in the right hand slot and yes wire it to the 120 volt AC shore power. This will be your main disconnect. Connect the shore power neutral to the terminal strip with the white wire and the ground to the terminal strip with the green wire. The black wire that is hanging in the 4045 will connect to one of the circuit breakers (15 amp).

3) Why are the 10AWG black DC leads #1 & #2 coming out of the back 10AWG, while the rest are only #14AWG? Are those intended for use with any higher Amp 12v circuits one might be using, or are they meant for some specific purpose
The black and white leads are the battery leads. The rest are individual circuits tied to the automotive style fuses on the front of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5426450570_fcb0a7dcf8.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	131652   Click image for larger version

Name:	5426453358_2626a909b9_z.jpg
Views:	4977
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	131653  

TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #8

1956 22' Caravanner
No. Hampton , New Hampshire
Thanks Twinkie. That all makes sense, and was also confirmed with a call to the Progressive Dynamics Techie this morning.

The PD technician also added that the (2) black #10AWG leads were intended to enable one to have (2) 30DC circuits, but are otherwise non-specific.

Progressive Dynamics also sells a transfer switch (PD5110610) for bringing AC into the 4045 from a gen set or inverter rather than shore power in order to continue running the same 110 circuits when boondocking. If bringing AC in from an inverter run off the main system batteries, however, one should also switch off the branch circuit feeding the 4045's converter, otherwise a feedback loop will be created and the batteries will be being used to charge themselves.
MexDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Below is an e-mail I just popped to both Randy at Best Converter & PD & hoping to hear from one or both of them tomorrow. However, Twinkie, with your help to Mex Dog, maybe you have an idea for me, too.

"I spoke to you both about the problem I am having with this converter. After speaking to you both, here’s where I am at:

I have followed the wiring diagram as indicated in the manual & below. (I could not copy & paste entire diagram from manual. But you each have one to look at, I am sure.) I have followed your recommendations to improve ground connections (Randy). And to add a ground wire from ground bar in converter to chassis (David). With my circuit breakers in the on position, I am getting 110 power to my 3 AC outlets (yay!). However, the only way I get power to the DC wires coming out of the back of the converter to power my DC lights & outlets is if I add a ground wire to the ground bar & connect it to the - (negative) terminal on the battery. Is this what I am supposed to do? There is nothing in the instruction manual saying to do so. I have double & triple checked my coach wiring. It all works. Please, help. I am planning on towing this Airstream to the Vintage Restoration Rally in Albuquerque on Wed. Thanks."

I wired into converter exactly as you stated, Twinkie, above at 2). The Black & white leads are connected to the battery terminals. But, the only way I get DC power is to add another ground wire to ground bus bar and attach it to neg. terminal on battery. does this make sense?
Old 06-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
Well, I figured it out. Below is e-mail I sent to Progressive Dymanics & Best Converter this morning. Geez... I am a bit embarrassed. But, I just didn't know and I'm sure all the rest of you felt this was too obvious to even mention. Thanks everyone!

"Well, guys. Thanks so much for your help. I figured it out. And yes, this might become one of those “dumb girl” stories you’ll tell. So, here goes. I did NOT know that I needed to run a ground wire from the negative terminal of the battery. So the only wires I had going to the battery were, a) 12v charge line from car. b) negative wire from Converter c) positive wire from converter. I realized my error as I read & re-read #s 1 & 2 written by David, below. Thanks so much for your time and please don’t be too hard on meJ!"
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1957 16' Bubble
Fort Collins , Colorado
Great that you were able to figure it out with some help. I just tackled my own wiring and it is an intimidating prospect not having much past electrical experience. I just wired in the same converter and had similar questions about the connections. I've found with my project to just take things slow, don't be afraid to ask questions and before I know it, good things have been accomplished. Good work!
baby_beluga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, intelli-power, progressive dynamics