Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Photos Of Converting From Univolt To Intellipower/New Converter

I believe that I have a pretty good handle on how I am going to swap out my old Univolt for my "new" (newer) PD Intellipower but I would like to look at some photos of prior swap outs rather than just relying on diagrams from the service manual. I see references on posts to these pictures but have been unable to locate them. Where might I find something like this on the Forums? Thanks. Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good question, I have made the same request several times with no response.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Unfortunately, not all AS used the same Univolt and fuse system over the years, so one set of photos will not tell you everything you might like to know. Some Univolts had the fuses inside, some used panels outside of the Univolt. When replacing it with a PD converter/charger a new fuse panel is often necessary. For those Univolts with internal fuses you must do it, and not a bad idea for the AS products with an external glass fuse panel. Those tend to get tired and fuses overheat. That is because usually the fuse clips are riveted to the brass buss bar, and the rivets get loose.

I could post photos of my three rigs, all with PD converters, but I am not sure what they would show you. Each installation is a bit different.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Photos...

Got it. I did not realize that there was that much variation among Univolts in the various AS models.

I still would appreciate it if you would't mind posting your pics. It will give me a visualization that I can personally work with much better than a black and white diagram.

I do plan on installing the fuse panel that Vintage Trailer Supply sells on their site and replacing the fuse panel on the existing Univolt (where ever that may be on the Univolt in my 78-31" Soverign). As I mentioned, I do have a diagram that VTS has one their website which shows how to sub in the new fuse panel with the Intellipower, and I also have the service manual for my trailer, but I am more of a visual guy and if I see a picture of something/have a pic of how something should look this works better for me.

Thanks. Montanaandy
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaandy View Post
Got it. I did not realize that there was that much variation among Univolts in the various AS models.

I still would appreciate it if you would't mind posting your pics. It will give me a visualization that I can personally work with much better than a black and white diagram.

I do plan on installing the fuse panel that Vintage Trailer Supply sells on their site and replacing the fuse panel on the existing Univolt (where ever that may be on the Univolt in my 78-31" Soverign). As I mentioned, I do have a diagram that VTS has one their website which shows how to sub in the new fuse panel with the Intellipower, and I also have the service manual for my trailer, but I am more of a visual guy and if I see a picture of something/have a pic of how something should look this works better for me.

Thanks. Montanaandy
I just got the PD 4560 All in One for my trailer. I have asked for pics ( I am also visual) and help on the rewiring with very little response. I am rewiring the whole trailer with 6/2 stranded for the 110v 50 amp main, 12/2 stranded romex (yellow) for the AC and 12 awg duplex for the DC. I have most of the wires run for the ac and dc along with the main. I am a bit away from actually going "live" with the converter. I still have to finalize a couple things. I will post whatever I can for you but I would still like to see other setups so I will be following this thread. Oh an the install instructions for the PD 4560 are useless crap!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Only pictures I have right now are of the old wiring. I am still a ways out on the new install. But will be glad to post pictures....if you can wait 6 months or so.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
I don't have pics but when I converted my 1978 Ambassador about 9 years ago it was an easy swap. The univolt was heavy to get out but the conversion to the Intellipower was a breeze.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have a 66 TW. The fuse panel is separate from the univolt. I replaced the univolt with a PD 45 amp model I believe. It only took about 30 minutes. I have not changed the original 12v fuse panel yet. It works fine. I want to change it out with either a VTS panel or the marine Blue Something panel. When I can get myself straight on wiring for the 12v panel, I will upgrade it. I will post photos of my univolt replacement within the next day or so.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I will go out in the morning and take photos of all three of my PD's in my rigs. Stay tuned.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Mine was a pretty simple swap. It's in the front behind the sofa. The fuse panel is separate, mounted in the wall above. There are some pics here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-57567.html

Hope it helps some.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
The fuse panel is separate, mounted in the wall above. There are some pics here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-57567.html
That's exactly how mine looked. Easy swap.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...mps-26482.html

hope this helps
toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Here is mine in the bath closet of my '75 Argosy 28. My PD9260 is sitting on the shelf temporarily, until I do the plumbing. Then I will place it under the shelf on the floor. The fuse block has 3 of the 10 connections used with 15 amp fuses. The blue wire has a separate 30 amp fuse, to the tongue and tongue jack/charging from tow vehicle. The black fuse holders have a 50 amp pos. 50 amp neg. to the battery. Hope this helps.
PS The converter(non-univolt) that was here was so scary, I never tried it. No fuses, just direct connected. No battery wires. I cut the wires and dumped it at a yard sale, along with the old water pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020476.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	160509   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020478.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	160510  

Old 06-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
OK, a promise is a promise. Here are photos of the PD converter/charger in all three of my rigs.

First the 71 Caravel. Messy instal, as it is under the bed and very little room. I used a blade type fuse holder that I had on hand. I used the original shunt so the original ammeter would work as it had when built. I took the shunt from the Univolt box, and tossed the fuse block and Univolt.

Name:	IMG_2287, small.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	160512

Name:	IMG_2289, small.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	160514

Name:	IMG_2288, small.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	160513

The next photos are from my 74 Argosy. I purchased a new blade type fuse block and added two new circuits, one for the furnace and water heater, the second for the water pump. That reduced the load on the original circuits and made both the furnace and water pump have a higher voltage and both run better. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2290, small.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	160517Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2291, small.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	160518

The third set is from my 75 22' Argosy. I cut the first two inches off the original Univolt, which had the fuses in it and used that over. I am not sure the time and trouble was worth it, a new blade type fuse panel would have been better, but I wanted to try it out. The black block under the original box is a ground block I had and found convenient for the negative wires.

Name:	IMG_2292, small.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	160519Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2293, small.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	160520Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2294, small.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	160521

Hope that helps
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Thanks so much for the pictures. They help immensley. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post them.

I am clear and how to wire in the Intellipower but I am still confused as to how to replace the old, separate 12 V Distribution Panel with a new Parallax Power Supply DC Load Fuseblock. I have 15 fuse holders with a max of 20 AMP each, 3 DC positive inputs along the top, 15 branch circuits along the bottom & 4 Ground Terminal Bus contact points along the left side of the box. How would I go about correctly wiring in the Parallax Box? Thanks. Montanaandy

Idroba & Rodger - you both appear to have used the Parallax DC Load Fuseblock which I also plan on incorporating (my old fuseblock if falling apart). Idroba - in your pictures you are not using the 20 AMP portion of the Parallax and I was uncertain as to why you did this.

I have both the service manual for the trailer + the faceplate for the distribution box in front of me. My Univolt - Distribution box has connections for (starting from left to right on the Distrib. Panel) the power on light which connections to the control panel above the stove, followed by 4 x 15 AGC circuits for the wiring to the TV, followed by 5 x 20 A circuits to the 12 V items in the trailer (pump, fans, etc) followed by 2 x 50 amp circuits for the 2 batteries and then what appear to be a 30 amp and 20 amp connection which I assume go to the circuit breaker in the closet down the hall.

The schematic that Vintage Trailer supplies for the wiring of the DC Load Fuseblock just covers the Univolt to Intellpower conversion as far as I can tell.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

I Need To Read Posts More Closely...

Sorry Idroba - I now see that you were referencing 3 different trailers and 3 different installs. The 2nd install with the new Parallax box is similar to what I am doing. Thanks, Montanaandy
Old 06-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Ok, let me try to clear up a few things. I re-wired my '81 Excella II, which had the univolt and fuse box up front behind the Goucho. Now, I have rewired my '75 Argosy, which had the Univolt and fuse box in the bathroom closet.
Some AS have fuses for the running/brake lights AND the fuses for the 12V interior/outside house lights in one fuse panel, like my Excella. My Argosy only has the wires for the fuses of the 12V house lights, therefore my re-wire is much simpler than my Excella. This is why there are going to be many different wiring situations. Yours may be similar to my Excella, and you need to identify which fuses are for running/brake, and which are for house 12V. The house 12 V is the wires you want to move to the new fuse panel, but the running/brake fuses do not connect into your house 12V, they run off of the tow vehicle. Myself, I would leave the running lights in the existing fuses, and just rewire the house 12V. Others may chime in on this.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Pictures & Diagrams

Roger - thanks for the input.

I have attempted to attach pictures of both my existing Distribution Panel diagram from the Service Manual for my trailer (78-31' Soverign) + pictures of the Parallax Panel that I want to sub in for the old distribution panel.

I am still not quite certain as to how I would go about wiring everything (i.e. new Intellipower + new Distribution Panel) from my old Univolt/existing panel.

Thanks, Montanaandy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	160602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2500.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	160603  

Name:	IMG_2501.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	160604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2502.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	160605  

Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Well, when I did my Excella II I used the existing panel, which is what you have. What I did, I took my dremel, with a wire brush tool in it, and removed the fuses one at a time, and cleaned up the fuse, and the area that grips it in the holder, pinched the holder together a little so it would get a good contact. I did each fuse holder, and everything worked great. Saved a lot of work and rewiring. Of course, disconnect batteries and turn off/unplug power supply. I then wired new PD9245 on place of Univolt.
Because, you are going to be able to rewire only fuses 5-10 anyway. The rest have to stay as is. You cant move fuse 2-5 because they are part of the running/brake lights powered from your tow vehicle. Fuses 11-14 are 50 amp. which in my case, I purchased new fuse blocks with 50 Amp in them. So, you may want to try my clean up suggestion first, save time and $$.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Ok so now I am really getting confused.

1st off, my existing distribution panel that is depicted in the photos is shot. It is literally falling apart. Yes I could spend some time and effort trying to repair it but everything I have read/everyone that I have spoken with about this told me to purchase a new panel with bladed fuses because it is superior to the OEM panel in the trailer.

It has been my assumption that the Parallax box that I purchased could replace the distribution panel that currently resides in the trailer and which is separate and apart from the Univolt (apparently with some Univolt models there is a fuse panel that is part of the Univolt itself)

So I guess my question is this - can I sub in this Parallax box for the old DC Distribution box that came with the trailer or do I have to purchase something else other than the Parallax box in order to be able to phase out the old DC Distribution box as well as install the new Intellipower converter? Thanks, Montanaandy