Old 09-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Orange County , California
Pharm...my picture shows the new DC board which looks like the old one. The old one would work fine and would take less time to connect... In other words all of those colored wires which connect to the 15 amp fuses would already be connected to the old board.

The advantage of the new board is that it shows a green light with different flash sequences to tell you what the charger is actually doing at that time. There is also a button where you can override it...change the boost to 14.4 volts if you should desire...though they don't advise doing so...but you can also use the button to make sure the unit is working correctly.

If Randy reads this post he may be be able to elaborate a little bit better than me. Good luck with the install. Gene

Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I watched a YouTube vid and cleared it up in my head a bit as well - thanks - def want the green blinky light

Why have the boost feature and not recommend it?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Good question. Randy?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Some users on YouTube (all experts no doubt) - seem to think that when running generator for generator hours - boost mode will deliver more amps - thus the feature?

I read it on the internet - it must be true

Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Unless you *know* the actual state of charge of your battery you might damage it by manually using boost mode.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I just remembered....I opted with my AS for the 1000w inverter...hope that will not be a problem for this converter install...

Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #21
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
No problem. The stock inverter and the converter are wired separately. I also have the 1000 Watt WFCO inverter.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
All above is correct and there are couple times I would use the over ride option, but not many. The first like mentioned, boondocking when generator run time is limited by rules or time available. Many people want to fast charge for a couple hours and then head off fishing, hiking etc. It will ensure boost function and faster charging should it not automatically go into boost by itself based on the state of charge when connected to AC power (or generator) Keep in mind it will stay in that high charge mode for 4 hours if you don't change it. Here lies the problem and the reason they don't generally recommend it. Many people are "button pushers" for the sake of pushing buttons and don't understand that 4 hours on a battery nearly charged will overcharge it if done repeatedly. It happens all the time and somehow its usually my fault Use the function conservatively and knowing the state of charge before charging is important like mrprez said.
The other time I might use it is when arriving at a new site after a long drive and the batteries have been fully charged from the TV alternator. After moving out a slide for example, the mode might change to boost because of the temporary high voltage drop (if the motor is DC or assisted) If I know my batteries are charged, I certainly don't need a 4 hour boost cycle so might move it back to the normal mode manually. Again, based on the known SOS of the batteries. If in doubt, leave the button alone is the best for 90% of all but there are times....
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
So I got a cheapy hydrometer from advanced auto - only one they had - it was like 5 bucks - not the thermometer mercury looking type - has a dial that floats up like a gauge -

Results show the battery is no good - I had trailer plugged in for a week - unplugged for 2 hours and switched to "store" and then checked - all clear read on the "red" zone for specific gravity

Maybe - maybe I had a loss of power within the last couple days but I doubt it ......hmmmm

Old 09-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Advanced Auto (any auto parts store) will check them free if you take them to their store. A good hydrometer should be in your tool box if you plan to run flooded batteries.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
PD4655 Converter

My charger I use for my boat batteries read both batteries at 13.1 v

Also micro pulse reads at full

Old 09-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
All above is correct and there are couple times I would use the over ride option, but not many. The first like mentioned, boondocking when generator run time is limited by rules or time available. Many people want to fast charge for a couple hours and then head off fishing, hiking etc. It will ensure boost function and faster charging should it not automatically go into boost by itself based on the state of charge when connected to AC power (or generator) Keep in mind it will stay in that high charge mode for 4 hours if you don't change it. Here lies the problem and the reason they don't generally recommend it. Many people are "button pushers" for the sake of pushing buttons and don't understand that 4 hours on a battery nearly charged will overcharge it if done repeatedly. It happens all the time and somehow its usually my fault Use the function conservatively and knowing the state of charge before charging is important like mrprez said.
The other time I might use it is when arriving at a new site after a long drive and the batteries have been fully charged from the TV alternator. After moving out a slide for example, the mode might change to boost because of the temporary high voltage drop (if the motor is DC or assisted) If I know my batteries are charged, I certainly don't need a 4 hour boost cycle so might move it back to the normal mode manually. Again, based on the known SOS of the batteries. If in doubt, leave the button alone is the best for 90% of all but there are times....
Hi Randy,

Would my batteries (stock GR 24 Interstates...a little less than 2 years old) which have never received a "full" charge at 14.4 volts...benefit with a nice boost charge for a short period? As soon as I hooked up the new converter the charge went to 2-3 flashes per second...which I believe is the normal charge at 13.60 volts.

How long would you charge at the boost setting?
Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
If they have never seen a bulk charge, I would give them an hour or two but do it when you are there to make sure they are not gassing excessively since they are probably close to full charge already. Might be better to run them down to 50-60% and then run the full boost cycle.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks Randy.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums