Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
PD 4655 Question?

I recently replaced my singe stage Parallax Converter with the Progressive Dynamics Model PD4655. Subsequent to replacement, everything seemed to be working as it should but...in a recent two week trip I noticed that there appeared to be an intermittent high frequency wine coming from the unit when hooked up to shore power. Additionally, I cannot hear any fan noise as I did from the Parallax unit. I stayed in three campgrounds with shore power and heard the wine in two of the campgrounds, therefore I suspected it may have had something to do with the quality of the power. So my question is, has anyone out there seen/heard this problem and is there any speculation as to cause? I have a call into Progressive but hard to get through to these folks.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If you purchased at Bestconverter give them a shoot.

I have the PD4655. The only noise I've heard is when there was it was hot, batteries needing charge AC one, electric water heater on so some heat build up in the converter/charger box. But I haven't heard it in a long time now. I'm going out this weekend, 90F so AC will be on with the water heater. I check mine again.

Have you pulled the panel off to check the fan?

Kelvin
Old 07-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Something may have gotten into the fan. A leaf, piece of wire, end of a wire tie, etc. I had a problem like that with a pellet grill. A wire worked its way into the blade circle of a fan. I didn't recognize it as anything other than fan noise until the thermostat quit working. Power it up and check the fan.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I recently upgraded to the PD4655. I've had it plugged up at the house and at the Airstream factory Terraport. I've never heard a whine or the fan running. It's been 91 inside the trailer but everything was working and the batteries were charging.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Unfortunately my trailer is stored remotely and they do not have power available so...I have not pulled unit out to see if the fans are running yet but it is in the plans. The high pitch wine is very high and my gut tells me that it is too high for a fan bearing but...time will tell. The thing I am trying to reconcile is why it stopped altogether at one of my campsite stops (power related???). I am going to call PD tomorrow and see if they have a clue. It would be nice if it was just the fan as it is a lot easier to replace then the entire unit.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Just got off the phone with Best Converter and talked to Randy. He related that this winning happens on occasion and is the electronics "settling in" not the fan. He said it would eventually go away. I ran it for 11 days on the last trip so....I hope soon. One point that is worth making, is the old units fan was very loud, but the PD4655 you cannot hear at all.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwatkin View Post
Just got off the phone with Best Converter and talked to Randy. He related that this winning happens on occasion and is the electronics "settling in" not the fan. He said it would eventually go away. I ran it for 11 days on the last trip so....I hope soon. One point that is worth making, is the old units fan was very loud, but the PD4655 you cannot hear at all.
He told me the same thing when my fan started running from the moment I powered it up and it did not stop. Since I had experience with installing the same unit in my Bambi, I knew this was unusual. I called PD and explained the situation, and the tech told me that it was a defective unit and to return it to the retailer (Best) for an exchange. He said eventually the fan will burn itself out. Best never responded with providing a prepaid shipping label, so I sent a defective unit back at my expense. I ordered the replacement on Amazon and it works as it should.

At least with Amazon you know you can return a defective unit at no cost.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #8
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Yes, Randy's explanation sounded a little strange to me also. I am leaving on a 3 week trip in a week so will see what happens as I do not have time to deal with before I go. I'll give an update when I get back.