Old 04-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Two more variations on the procedure to replace the lower converter/charger section of a Parallax/Magnetek power center to the Xantrex Truecharge™ RV (XADC) multi-stage charging converter are found here:

Magnetek/Parallax to Xantrex (linked from

Also see jd's (5cats) complete change-out of the Parallax system's power distribution center and converter/charger here:

XADC Follow-up

(Thanks jd for your fine work and contribution.)

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Lafayette , Rocky Mnt. Region
I just finished this upgrade on our Safari 25 FB. We lost our Parallax 1 month after the warantee expired. These instructions were extemely helpful. Thanks SilverGate!

I made two minor adjustments:
1) The fit with the 1/2" mounting rails wasn't tight enough and 5/8" rails were too wide. I had to use a 1/16" L-shaped aluminum bracket between the 1/2" mounting rails and the enclosure. You can see it sitting on top of the mounting rail in the picture below .

2) I used 8AWG wire to connect the Xantrex to the 12V panel instead of reusing the original 10AWG Parallax wire. Xantrex recommends 6AWG, but I couldn't get the fatter wire to fit between the enclosure and the upper section. I compromised at 8.

So far, so good. I'm getting 14.1-14.2 volts DC. I'm just waiting for the batteries to get charged enough for the Xantrex to swith over to float mode. When that happens, I'll call this project complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xantrex.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	86313  

richschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
You’re welcome, richschafer, and thanks for posting your experience and photo here.

As mentioned in the beginning of this thread, I wanted to illustrate my experience in replacing my Parallax converter with the Xantrex unit and that this thread was not intended to be “instructions” per se.

My converter replacement was based, however, on instructions found in the illustrated article, “Parallax 7355 Converter Replacement with Xantrex XADC-60”, written by Ernie Hensley (28’ 2005 Safari) and found on

Regarding ½” mounting rails:

Ernie also noted that using 5/8” aluminum channel on both sides was too tight and he ended up using a ½” wide rail on one side and a 5/8” wide rail on the other. In his “Some final thoughts & lessons learned section” he recommends using ½” aluminum channel on both sides and add a washer if necessary to take up any lateral movement. (I did not need to use a washer.)

Regarding wire size:

Xantrex’s Installation Instructions, page 24, Table 2, does show that Xantrex recommends a minimum DC wire gauge of 6 AWG (for XADC-60) running to the battery bank (and a maximum length of 20 feet). It notes that using larger run lengths or smaller gauge wires [to the batteries] than recommended will result in decreased charge/load output performance as well as additional heating and interference effects.

The large red and white wires that Airstream used to connect my OEM converter to my two AGM batteries seem proper and can be seen attached to the DC panel in the enlarged photo in post #5 of this thread.

Table 1 (on page 24 of Xantrex Installation Instructions) lists torque requirements for terminal connections for various sized wires, including 10 AWG.

Upon completion of the installation and connection to shore power, Xantrex put out 14.2 volts as read by my voltmeter (seen in post #11 of this thread), which corresponds to the bulk or first stage charging. This was followed by the absorption or second stage, and finally, once the batteries were fully charged, it settled down to 13.4 volts, the float or third stage of charging.

My Xantrex XADC-60 continues to function perfectly and quietly. I am very happy with it and the service from

Originally Posted by richschafer View Post
I just finished this upgrade on our Safari 25 FB. We lost our Parallax 1 month after the warantee expired. These instructions were extemely helpful. Thanks SilverGate!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Thanks SilverGate...

This is an excellent resource. Thank you for posting this & the links.

The stock converter on my 25FB unit (Parallax 7300) is quite noisy & has a worrying crackling / buzzing sound when the fan is running. The fan is quite loud & does not inspire any confidence. It has been like this since the beginning but seems to be getting more noticeable.

I was searching to see whether others noticed this & whether they thought it was acceptable... & thus came across your thread.

I think the relative advantage of preserving good battery function would make replacing the Parallax worthwhile in and of itself.

Is your new unit any quieter or cooler than the the old Parallax?

eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks, evan. I also noticed some higher pitched electrical buzzing sounds coming from my old Parallax 7300 series converter, especially when we turned on the ceiling lights.

I do not hear these sounds with the Xantrex and from my experience, the fan runs much quieter than my old Parallax converter. And I believe the fan is more efficient and effective because it is directed in line with the vents of my re-used Parallax converter enclosure.