Got the '06 out of the back 40 on Monday and hooked it up to shore power. Took it for PA state inspection yesterday and picked it up this evening and plugged it back into shore power once home. I set about washing it in preparation for our camping trip starting tomorrow to Drummer Boy in Gettysburg. Well I got around to the front of the trailer and I thought I smelled sulfur. I didin't think too much of it until I got another whiff of it. I put my head down next to the one battery doors and I heard gurgle...gurgle...gurgle. I quickly disconnected the battery and removed, man was it hot and four of the cells were about bone dry!!!
OK so I boiled a battery. But what I don't get is I am famatical about taking care of those things. I always check the electrolyte levels and I always remove them from the trailer and use my Crafstman charger to charge them at least once a month when not in the trailer. When they are in the trailer I always turn of the 12 volt
main disconnect. The other batter is perfectly fine and cool to the touch. The coach and the batteries are both 2 years old, so they are the originals.
So it is off to my friendly RV dealer over lunch tomorrow to replace BOTH batteries.
So I guess my questions are...
- Is it normal that only one battery boiled?
- Should I relace the stock Parallax series 7400 model 7455 with the 60 amp Inteli-Power 9200 model? (I put an Iteli-Power 9200 in our '87 and so far it is working great. I love the Charge Wizard)
- Can I have it hooked up to shore power with only one battery connected?
- Can I have it hooked up to shore power with NO batteries connected when I go to get replacements tomorrow?
I guess I should also mention that we have done no boondocking in this trailer.
I know this topic has been covered ad nauseum, but I would appreciate and answers you all may have.