Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Parallax 7355 strikes again!

I'm back! I have a 2012 International 25' FB, purchased in April 1012. At last year's International Rally I mentioned online that my second converter had failed while at the rally. My first and second converters seemed to have automatic transfer switch problems. My third converter was installed in August 2012. It has been fine til now at the 2013 International Rally.

For several days the 30 amp breaker, in the converter, has tripped off during the day with the a/c on. Today when it tripped off I smelled plastic burning and could not hold my hand on the converter due to heat. Opening it up I can see all seven wires into the bus (left side wall) have been cooked with pieces of plastic burned off.

Doing some testing I found that I can run everything but the a/c and it produces no heat. As soon as the a/c is turned on the wires and bus start heating up.

I'm still in warranty and will be attending to it after I wreck my travel plans up here in South Dakota. Has this electrical problem happened to anyone else? Thanks, Don
donabston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The only part of the air conditioner that should have anything to do with the converter is the small 12 volt circuit board. It draws possibly as much as an amp or two. Are you sure it isn't the 120 volt breaker panel that is giving you trouble?It's in the same housing as the converter.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
If I understand the history (converter problems at the rally only), it sounds like you are blaming the converter/power center for an extremely low voltage situation. As voltage drops, amps increase thus your 30 amp breaker trips, especially when running a large load like the air conditioner. Resetting the breaker continually just allowed the heat generated from the increased current to build up until you "cooked" the wires (and your converter in the past). You're lucky you didn't have a major fire. Check the voltage coming into the unit and I'll bet you will find it somewhere around 105 volts or less.
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
For those reading this thread who are not familiar with the 7355 power center that donabstron has, it is a combination of 120 volt power center and 12 volt converter/charger with all the 12 volt fuses. There are two sections to it, 120 and 12 volt sides.

The problem appears to be on the 120 volt side and sounds like major damage has been already done to the AC lines from the 120 volt CB to the AC itself. I would guess that the 120 volt side of the unit will need to be replaced and that may involve the entire 7355 system as it may have enough damage so it is not really repairable. I don't know if the 120 volt side comes out like the 12 volt parts do. I just replaced the converter/charger and 12 volt fuse block in mine two days ago, upgrading to a 3 stage charger by Progressive Dynamics. (2014, FC 20' 3 weeks old)

Since it is a 2012 unit, this seems to be a Warrantee issue that Airstream needs to deal with, not something I would tackle on my own, if it was my rig. I would guess that someone has not tightened up the wires into and out of the 120 volt side of the power center. I had a failure like that once in my AS 310 motorhome, fried all the wires in the CB box which fed the AC unit, as well as the CB itself. Was a result of a loose connection to the CB, overheating the wire feeding the AC.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Thanks for the replies. I should have used a more accurate term...it is the Parallax 7355 power center. And yes, the 7 white, fried wires are in the 120 volt side of the box, next to the 120 volt breakers.

Fortunately the weather up here in South Dakota is relatively mild so I can make it for a while w/o the air conditioner. On Monday I will be contacting a dealer to set up an appointment.

The big question is whether this latest incident is related to my troubles with the automatic transfer switch that precipitated 2 converter change-outs. If everybody out in the field starts scratching their heads over this, I guess I'll have to divert to Jackson Center and spend my time there.

I've started telling everybody that having my Airstream is like being married to a beautiful woman....you love to be seen with her, you love to play with her, but when you get home she drives you crazy.

Don
Old 07-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Oops. Two "power center" change-outs.

Don