Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Williamsburg , Virginia
Over voltage from my converter

Hi all, I'm running into an issue with my Magnetek 3240 converter. I'm getting 18v from the 12v output, but when I put the meter on a light socket inside, I'm getting 11v. I tested the lines going to the battery and again I'm getting 18v there as well. My questions are, is this an issue and if it is how do I fix it. Looking forward to a quick and easy solution.
THEMACS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
What is the battery voltage with the converter off? If you have a battery with an open circuit you could have higher than normal voltages. Voltages can vary a lot depending on distance from the source and the load. Voltage is always lower at the load. Try to measure the current going to the battery.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Williamsburg , Virginia
Perry, I don't have the battery installed right now, but I'm getting 18v at the battery connector.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEMACS3 View Post
Perry, I don't have the battery installed right now, but I'm getting 18v at the battery connector.
I wonder if that's why. Some circuits are designed to operate ONLY with their normal expected load connected. Now, I am not an electronics expert, but I think that the no battery condition could be an influencing factor.

Did you measure the voltage in the same way at some other time and find a different voltage?

Of course, you need a battery if you are going to travel. No battery means no emergency power to activate your brakes, in the "worst case" scenario of your trailer disconnecting from the tow vehicle.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The battery is part of the circuit. It provides resistance to the output of the power supply. It also acts like a big capacitor. It smooths out the voltage. You may not have pure DC coming out of the power supply. What you are doing is like putting your car in first gear and flooring it. If your power supply is not rated to be operated without a battery there is no telling what you will get. By power supply, I mean converter. Try a car battery in there and see if your problems go away.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
There are some converters that will work without a battery but sounds like yours is one that needs the battery load to regulate at 13/14VDC.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Williamsburg , Virginia
Appreciate all the feedback guys, I'll throw the battery in in the morning and see what I get.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Williamsburg , Virginia
Well fellows that was exactly the issue. Put the battery in today and got 12v throughout. Thanks for all the assistance
Old 05-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Smile

we all love a success story! good work all.
dsrtgrls is offline   Reply With Quote